Saturday Night Live Skit Pokes Fun at Google Glass

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,096
Points 1,183,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 9:52 AM
By now you've undoubtedly heard about Google Glass, the wearable computer with a head-mounted display (HMD) that will allow you to interact with the environment in a smartphone-like manner, but without using your hands. You speak commands and it responds, so you want to take a picture of what you're seeing, you simply tell Google Glass to do so. The idea that anyone at any time could be recording you in a public setting without your knowledge -- in a restaurant restroom, for example -- has led to some privacy concerns, but on Saturday Night Live this past weekend, a whole slew of other potential issues were brought to light.

Actor Fred Armisen plays the part of Randall Meeks, a hipster tech correspondent who's all too excited to show off his pair of Google Glasses to Seth Meyers on SNL's "Weekend Update" news segment, which mixes real news with comic commentary and often features fake guests. When Meeks appears, Meyers asks him for his early thoughts on Google Glass.

"Oh Seth, they're amazing. You know, I used to spend so much time of my life looking down at my phone, and now thanks to Google Glass, the phone is up here and I can use it without being rude or distracting."

Google Glass Skit on SNL

He then starts whipping his head around to toggle through menus, adding that "It's great because no one knows you're doing it." Later on in the skit, Meeks tries to locate Italian restaurants in the area by yelling out "Italian" in several vain attempts for his command to be recognized, and when it finally is, Google Glass switches the language settings to Italian, forcing Meeks to speak in a foreign language.

The problems Meek faces largely center on voice recognition, which is something anyone with a modern smartphone can relate to, only it's a lot more comical to see someone struggle with getting a Google Glass device to recognize a command.

Check it out below if you're in need of a good laugh.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:19 AM

its weird because ive seen alot of people who didnt think this was very funny. It was partially funny. A little repetitive but funny none the less

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, May 7 2013 11:29 AM

Saturday Night Live hasn't been funny (in my opinion) in many years. But if your product is being spoofed on by SNL, you're probably doing something right.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625

I saw a guy on the NYC subway wearing Google Glasses, some kid walking by said out loud. "OK Glass take a picture" and stuck out both middle fingers while looking directly at the guy. Guess the guy didn't want to share that since i can't find it online anywhere.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:55 PM

Sounds like a stupid invention to me. Damn glassholes!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

digitaldd:

I saw a guy on the NYC subway wearing Google Glasses, some kid walking by said out loud. "OK Glass take a picture" and stuck out both middle fingers while looking directly at the guy. Guess the guy didn't want to share that since i can't find it online anywhere.

That definitely sounds like something a disrespectful teenage kid would do... >.> But at least he is a little bit up with the times because he knew what it was...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 405

Making fun of Google Glass should have been like shooting fish in a barrel, but unfortunately, Fred Armisen isn't funny, imo.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625

SDonaldson:

Making fun of Google Glass should have been like shooting fish in a barrel, but unfortunately, Fred Armisen isn't funny, imo.

He's funny in Portlandia at least to me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

no hulu for me!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS