Apple’s Curved Battery Patent Filing Hints At New Mobile Designs

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 6 2013 2:35 PM
Battery technology is one of the things holding back further innovation in the mobile space; batteries have certainly improved over the last few years, but they can barely keep pace with the power demands of increasingly power mobile devices. For example, many people can’t make it through a whole day with their smartphones or tablets without having to plug them in.

Further, for as small as batteries have become, they still hog an unfortunate amount of space inside a mobile device chassis. Apple is looking to address that issue somewhat by filing for a patent for a curved battery designed for mobile devices.

Apple curved battery

Such a battery includes a cell built in a set of layers that makes a cathode; the cathode has an active coating, a separator, and then an anode with an active coating. The components are sealed in a “pouch” to form the cell, and then the cell itself can be curved. To curve the cell requires 0.13 kilogram-force (kgf) per square millimeter of pressure using curved plates. The application of 85-degree (Celsius) heat can further form the cell.

This technology, according to the patent, could be used in virtually any portable electronic device, including laptops, smartphones, tablets, and cameras. It’s not too hard to imagine multiple designs that would be possible if the battery inside the unit could have a curve to it; perhaps we’ll be seeing a sexier iPhone in the not-too-distant future, for example.

Apple hasn’t been innovating all that much these days, but at least the company is theoretically and conceptually innovating.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:36 PM

More likely it's for their smart-watch, but we'll see.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, May 6 2013 4:23 PM

That's actually a good theory. Makes sense.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875

That particular shape reminds me of the HTC One V, and also the HTC Hero. Perhaps they just meant to file a generic curved shape.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, May 6 2013 10:54 PM

Every time I see an Apple patent... I suspect they're just trolling/blocking/stealing a design from competition. I know that's pessimistic, but I don't have a very high opinion of Apple.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

And you shouldn't.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 550
Points 5,020

And Apple files for a patent on something they didn't even create. I'm always surprised at some of the hardware patents they file for things that are other peoples (ie, the company building the parts for them) tech.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

One more example of Apple applying for an overly broad patent in the attempt to control technology for profit. This style of patent is BAD FOR EVERYONE!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, May 7 2013 12:44 PM

InfinityzeN1:

And Apple files for a patent on something they didn't even create. I'm always surprised at some of the hardware patents they file for things that are other peoples (ie, the company building the parts for them) tech.

Agreed. I was surprised when the patent office denied a couple of their patents for being to broad or nothing to back it up. Before that it seemed like Apple was gonna patent anything and everything not nailed down.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Fri, May 10 2013 7:29 PM

Square battery patents

Rectangle battery patents

Thickness patents

Output patents

Will courts need to use a sine bar and protractors to measure the patented curves?

This type of patent should be denied.

If it's a new battery technology inside the shell then by all means issue a patent but only for shape/size/thickness/output.....just more litigation friendly patent office stupidity.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS