rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle Posted: Fri, May 3 2013 9:08 PM

Hi

My uncle is looking for a wifi range booster. Here is the deal:

He has a 'gateway' modem (modem and wifi built in one) from the ISP. This box is located upstairs in the house and is hardwired to a mean machine gaming desktop (Which I built for my cousin :) )

They have a lot of electronics that need to be connected to the internet, including: 2 desktop PC's (one hardwired and 1 wireless), laptop, media box, tablet, xbox 360, ps3, ipod touch, iphone, wii, possibly a tv or bluray player. I know - overkill. They complain of really slow internet speeds (surprise surprise) I guess its cause of the bandwidth and everything else.

A few of these devices will be moved to the basement but his wifi signal sucks so he wants me to get him a wifi range booster. I've read some product reviews and to be honest it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of good ones out there. Need something that doesn't crap in and out. I've told him that I recommend hard wiring the xbox. Price range would be about 100 bucks but that's not set in stone so if there's something that is better but costs more, please suggest it. Also, would something dual-band be better?? The way I see it, the wifi booster will increase his wifi range but its' not going to do anything with the speed? Suggestions??

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

I did something like this for someone before.

We hardwired an Netgear N-600 into the modem for the speed, and used a "N" range extender too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 3 2013 10:43 PM

In the long run it might be better to run cat5e or cat6 instead if that is feasible.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Fri, May 3 2013 10:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. 

Coukd you point me to anybsoecific links to the right gear? 

I don't have too much experience in this as I've never had any issues myself. 

What about the dual band thing? Again  could you provide links  to what you're talking about with regards to improving the speed and wifi range too?

to the other poster, I to,d him he should hardwire the Xbox with some cat 5 or 6. But not everything can be hard wired such as the mobile devices. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:31 PM

Sorry man I was on my phone earlier and I hate typing on it. What I mean it run a single cat5e or cat5 line down to the basement and setup another wireless router down there. In my experience I have had alot of issues trying to use wifi boosters.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:45 PM

Hi

These both seem good, though I've heard mixed reviews on the brand name.

So I'm assuming the second one would be better? Basically what I'm looking for is a wifi booster like this that I can put in another part of the house. Just to confirm, I can plug an Ethernet cable into either one of these right? Once this is set up, even if I have this netgear device on a different floor in the house, if I plug an Ethernet cable into that and the other end into an Xbox for example, I should be able to get internet from that as well??

The second one there, I'm a little confused by the port on the back that says "modem". I want something in a different part of the house than the modem is in. I don't have to have that connected , hardwired, to my modem will I? And will this really increase speeds?

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Fri, May 10 2013 8:14 AM

krikle:

Hi

These both seem good, though I've heard mixed reviews on the brand name.

So I'm assuming the second one would be better? Basically what I'm looking for is a wifi booster like this that I can put in another part of the house. Just to confirm, I can plug an Ethernet cable into either one of these right? Once this is set up, even if I have this netgear device on a different floor in the house, if I plug an Ethernet cable into that and the other end into an Xbox for example, I should be able to get internet from that as well??

The second one there, I'm a little confused by the port on the back that says "modem". I want something in a different part of the house than the modem is in. I don't have to have that connected , hardwired, to my modem will I? And will this really increase speeds?

Thanks

Just another thought if you already have a wireless router you could just pick-up another cheap one and use that as a wireless extender, on some models its easier to do than on others basically you connect it to the wireless network as a client  and disable dhcp on the second router. if the other router supports using an alternative firmware like tomato, gargoyle or ddwrt its pretty easy once you've flashed it but a bit harder to get set up .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:08 PM

I meant using the linked router as a faster basic network and the other linked extender as a range extender that works at the same speeds as the new router.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Sun, May 12 2013 2:20 PM

I've confirmed that he needs to def upgrade his gateway from the ISP. Currently he has a single band one, he needs a dual band. That would improve performance and wifi single between different wifi devices. Right or wrong??

To go with that, he needs a wifi booster so he can pick up the wifi in the basement. And preferably something with an ethernet port, too.

What about the Netgear Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (WN2500RP) ???

I'm not sure if that wifi range booster has an ethernet port. I was looking at a device that plugs into the wall that has an ethernet port. It does nothing for wireless but basically instead of having to run a cable for the xbox (because he prefers to have it hard wired which I can def understand). So i guess I was wondering if he'd have to get 2 separate devices or if there is a wifi booster tha tplug sinto the wall that ALSO has an ethernet port??

I was wondering if that Netgear device plugs into the wall? I don't want anything that has to connect to the actual gateway because they will be on different floors of the house. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS