Google Fiber, Eat Your Heart Out: CenturyLink is Upgrading Omaha to Gigabit Internet

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,645
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 1 2013 2:49 PM
Make all the jokes you want about Nebraska, but that state knows college football, beef, corn, and living the good life, and now its largest city (which is a rapidly growing area, by the way) will be one of the precious few metropolitan areas in the country with gigabit Internet.

ISP CenturyLink announced today that it will be piloting a fiber network that will deliver gigabit speeds to some 48,000 homes and businesses on the west side of Omaha. CenturyLink already has a fiber network there, and the company will upgrade it to fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) technology to allow for the high Internet speed.

Omaha
Omaha, Nebraska skyline

Those using the service will also have access to CenturyLink’s enterprise-class 100 Gbps global network, which is built to handle big data, cloud services, and other demanding tasks. The rollout is starting next week, with a complete date sometime in early October.

CenturyLink joins the likes of the quaintly named Vermont Telephone Company in offering gigabit speeds to new areas. What was that we were saying before about how Google Fiber will challenge existing ISPs to do better?

Update: According to Omaha.com, customers can get the gigabit service, which will be dubbed "Lightspeed Broadband", for $79.95 per month when bundled with other CenturyLink services, or $149.95 all on its own.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Watch as they turn around and impose a 10GB limit. lolololol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915

But Seth, why should Google Fiber eat its heart out ?!! As you recognise in the article text, using the power of example to force US ISPs to finally provide better and faster services was and is the obvious point of the whole game for Google ; they hardly envisaged going into the fibre-cable business in a big way....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 1,740
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:55 AM

Just pointing out that for all the hullabaloo around Google Fiber (perpetuated by lots of people, including myself), other ISPs are now jumping in to bring gigabit Internet to the market. This, in contrast to TWC's lame attempts to "compete"...

Also, I don't believe that Google is launching gigabit networks *merely* to force ISPs into action--rather, it's a really terrific side effect of Google Fiber rollouts. And why wouldn't Google want to become a major ISP? Sounds lucrative to me, especially if they can do it better and cheaper than everyone else. Plus, then they'd have that much more control over the Internet.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, May 2 2013 1:11 PM

Man, honestly I don't think we know Google's true intention yet. I know KC was a big test for them to see if they could do it as what cost. Obviously it was a success so now they are moving to other cities and ISPs have been put on notice with CenturyLink and AT&T planning to offer gigabit speeds. I think Google would be stupid to not try and turn a profit from this but I could see them staying limited if the competition starts doing massive gigabit roll outs at decent prices. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Points 860
KOwen replied on Thu, May 2 2013 2:34 PM

$150 a month is a bit steep for the majority of people I would think. I certainly couldn't afford that. Google Fiber is less than half that at $70 a month. I applaud their effort, but hopefully over time as this speed becomes more commonplace the price premium will steadily decline.

I can't wait to see the evolution of the internet once bandwidth issues for the majority of the population are a thing of the past. The internet has always evolved faster in design and implementation than it has with speed (feels like a never ending game of catch-up). Perhaps for the first time in history we will finally have enough speed plus room to grow, allowing us nearly limitless potential.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

MayhemMatthew:

Watch as they turn around and impose a 10GB limit. lolololol

The sad thing is, I can see that happening! XD

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, May 6 2013 12:47 AM

KOwen:

$150 a month is a bit steep for the majority of people I would think. I certainly couldn't afford that. Google Fiber is less than half that at $70 a month. I applaud their effort, but hopefully over time as this speed becomes more commonplace the price premium will steadily decline.

I can't wait to see the evolution of the internet once bandwidth issues for the majority of the population are a thing of the past. The internet has always evolved faster in design and implementation than it has with speed (feels like a never ending game of catch-up). Perhaps for the first time in history we will finally have enough speed plus room to grow, allowing us nearly limitless potential.

Well considering that Verizion is 170+ and AT&T Uverse is 160+ (I used to pay $167 for 24 down and U300) and all the other Internet and cable companies charge about the same after discounts are taken away its not really. That and what you get for it assuming they don't put a cap on it isn't to bad. I would like to see it lower and I'd also hope in time after alot of the country gets it that they will get into price wars which is better for us.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS