High End Case Roundup: In Win, Lian-Li, & SilverStone

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 1 2013 10:54 AM

High End Case Roundup: In Win, Lian-Li, & SilverStoneIf you love building computers, you probably appreciate a good case or chassis. While there are plenty of excellent products available for a song, there’s also an upper echelon of models that cost quite a bit and offer all the premiere features you could hope for. While it seems as though there’s a lot of similarity between low-end and midrange cases, once you get to a certain price point, various companies take things in very different directions. The three premium chassis we’re looking at in this roundup certainly bear that out.

In Win, Lian Li, and SilverStone all make some beautiful cases. And when we asked them to send us one of their top of the line products, they all responded in kind: In Win with the unique H-Frame, Lian Li with the tall, all-black PC-X2000FN, and Silverstone with the Fortress FT02...

High End Case Roundup: In Win, Lian-Li, & Silverstone

• | Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 210

Why cant we load pictures ladies and gents?

TcM

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Wed, May 1 2013 12:02 PM

In Win H-frame is an dust collector or not ?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Wed, May 1 2013 12:23 PM

That H-Frame is a cool looking design. I would actually want to use something like that. Sadly, when I went searching for where to buy it, NewEgg had it listed as discontinued.

The Lian-Li is 'clean' looking, but I don't like how the system is laid out, nor how the heat would travel through it. Essentially, to me, it seems too 'closed up' and I don't like the HDD's position at the top of the case which doesn't appear to have an output heat vent.

The Fortress FT02 Looks like it has a nicer setup than the Lian-Li, but when I look at your thermal testing, it shows that the Lian-Li was actually the 'coolest' running case of the three. I was surprised. I also wished that you had included a thermal test with the H-Frame having the exhaust fan even though it wasn't included in the default setup. That would have been interesting data to know as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

H-Frame might be good for a silent, completely passively cooled build, maybe even water, but thats about it.

I dont remember a Lian Li case I didnt like. Maybe the train one... The disc tray at the side would be better for me, as I love a clean looking front, but dislike doors.

I really dislike the Fortress series. I know people like them, I just do not

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Closed up is good. The separate compartments allow for much better cooling.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800

The H frame is a cool design on paper, never something Id own personally due to dust alone. I agree that on a passive cooled only build it could show some potential, still id pass it up.

Lian Li always makes a decent chassis of outstanding quality, and for how its setup. It looks like they took a design cue from the 800d, having separate zones to keep the noise and heat down is a nice thing. As always the finish is of great quality. I like the ROM drives on the side, nice little touch. Cable routing could be a little better on the mobo side.

The silverstone is a nice chassis, that could be hit or miss depending on how/where its setup. Though I understand WHY, I am not sure how I feel about the GPUs exhausting straight up the top like that (I can imagine a space heater like effect after a few). None the less, silverstone and lian li both have always made some fine chassis, you cant go wrong with either lian li or silverstone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

Hey... for you guys worried about dust: I take my machine outside and use my electric leaf blower with a flexible extension hose attached to it to blow all the dust out of my system. I do that about once every couple weeks or so. It's amazing how well 100mph wind will blow the dust right out. Keeps it really nice and clean in there.

When I'm doing it, I hold any fan I'm blowing out with my finger, otherwise it'll make it spin like crazy. I also wear a dust mask while I do it because it will blow out quite a bit of dust. Or... at least it does for me. :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 901
Points 8,345
sevags replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:30 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Lian-Li cases! I was impressed with the H frame when it was announced, how hard is it to get one? I remember it and the D frame were being made in very limited numbers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

The Lian-Li case looks the best to me, but the price is astounding.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390

I like the H-Frame and I am not worried about dust. My Antec 12 collects dust with 7 fans running. A can of air and a shop vac takes care of the dust cloud.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 1,740
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:59 AM

Shadizzle, I initially shared your concern about the GPU heat on the Fortress, but with three huge fans on the bottom of the case moving air upwards, it wasn't ultimately an issue.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Thu, May 2 2013 7:33 PM

Where's the horizontal cases ?

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Thu, May 2 2013 7:39 PM

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_legacy.php?area=en&model=lc11

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This Lian Li looks beautiful! The only complaint I would muster is that that brushed aluminum is going to stain from the oils on fingerprints and look croggy after awhile. I guess I'll have to surround it with protectors and warning signs so that nobody would touch it if I had one!

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Sat, May 4 2013 8:21 PM

Kidbest100:

This Lian Li looks beautiful! The only complaint I would muster is that that brushed aluminum is going to stain from the oils on fingerprints and look croggy after awhile. I guess I'll have to surround it with protectors and warning signs so that nobody would touch it if I had one!

Can't really say that to be true with the Lian li -silver brushed aluminum chassis I have had over the years and the other silver Lian Li cases in use for other folks builds. With just a bit of reasonable wipes, once in awhile they look and hold up really well.Can't say the same for the black, and would likely show all the paw prints.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 24,270
digitaldd replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:15 AM

When a $260 case is considered inexpensive it makes me happy I only build a system once every 2-3 years. fortunately i still re-use old cases most of the time.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS