Nintendo Selling Refurbished 3DS and DSi XL Consoles Below GameStop Pricing

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:16 AM
Generally you don't bite the hand the feeds you, but apparently Nintendo doesn't feel GameStop provides all that much financial sustenance, hence the console maker isn't thinking twice about competing against the new and used games retailer with lower priced refurbished consoles. That's right, Nintendo is now selling refurbished 3DS and DSi XL game consoles in the U.S., and at prices that are lower than GameStop.

Nintendo points out that the ones it's selling are the only refurbished products in the market that have been cleaned, tested, and inspected to meet its high standards. Like Apple does with its refurbished items, Nintendo offers the same one-year warranty that applies to its new products. However, while the consoles are guaranteed to be fully functional, they may have minor cosmetic blemishes, so you're not getting a brand new chassis.

Aqua Blue 3DS

Here's how the pricing breaks down:
  • Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS: $130
  • Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: $170
  • Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL: $100
  • Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL w/ Mario Kart DS: $130
  • Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL: $100
  • Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL w/ Mario Kart DS: $130
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS: $130
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: $170

These are all lower than GameStop, which sells refurbished 3DS and DSi XL systems for $160 and $110, respectively. Gamers can save $30 on a 3DS console and $10 on a DSi XL handheld by buying direct from Nintendo and have a one-year warranty to boot.

Whether or not this creates a rift with GameStop remains to be seen, and Nintendo may not care either way. A report by Kotaku last year shed light on the fact that you can't buy Wii U and 3DS hardware direct from Amazon, which is a much bigger retailer than GameStop. Amazon will fulfill orders by some of its resellers, but doesn't offer Nintendo hardware as a direct sale company, possibly suggesting that the relationship between the two companies soured at some point.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 12:05 PM

I think I would trust a refurbished 3DS or DSi directly from Nintendo over one from Gamestop. My kids all play DS or 3DS. I could see going that route should one of their DS's stop working.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

This is pretty cool. My daughter loves her 3DS. At those prices, I wouldn't mind picking up another one and playing games with her. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Do this in Canada and you have a 3DS sale.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:19 PM

Or just get someone from the US to send it to you if you got one you trust.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:53 PM

No used games,

Always on connection,

no refurbished DS'...

What else is going to come up next that will contribute to the end of places like Gamestop?

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

At the game stop you can buy a two year warranty for 20.00 and if something goes wrong they will happily replace it with a new or used console, I used the warranty at least 4 times in a two year period. Gamestop lets you renew the warranty when you have to trade in the console because the warranty is only linked to the console that is purchased.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CirusWolf replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 2:17 PM

What happens if it is stolen and I have the one year guarantee? Will they still replace it?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS