botObjects Launches Worlds First Full Color Desktop 3D Printer

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,805
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 29 2013 2:53 PM
While even the ability to print small plastic tchotchkes in 3D with a large printer is still a bit of a marvel, a company called botObjects is attempting to take things a step further with the ProDesk3D printer, which is a full color 3D printer that can sit comfortably on your desk.

What’s most notable about the ProDesk3D is that it uses a 5-color PLA cartridge, so users can specify a huge array of different colors for the object they’re creating.

The ProDesk3D also features easy-to-use software designed to offer a user-friendly way to choose colors, tweak designs, and print objects, as well as automatic setup and build platform auto-leveling. It’s also a product with an attractive industrial design.

botobjects
Front and rear views

At press time, botObjects didn’t announce a price for the ProDesk3D, but the company says that it will be comparably priced to other consumer-grade offerings currently on the market. Pre-orders will begin in June.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 3:10 PM

That's pretty awesome. 3D printing tech is really starting to come along. I'm excited for the day when it becomes more common and feasible for your average consumer (me) to afford to own/use one. I make 3D objects all the time... it would be incredibly awesome to be able to print them out, especially IN COLOR. Very cool. :)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

3D printing is probably one of the koolest things I've seen this decade. Especially since I'm in engineering, there is tons of applications. For example, 3D printing old car parts that aren't in production. There is just so much you can do with it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 3:27 PM

im concerned though how much is the ink going to cost for one of these bad boys?? I mean the regular one colored single cartridge on some of them run 50$ and up. So what is 5 colored ink gonna cost??? But i would want to print me a new liver and make rainbow colored that way when i get examined the doctor finds a little surprise inside of me and maybe ill brighten up his day

:)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 3:48 PM

ajm531:

im concerned though how much is the ink going to cost for one of these bad boys?? I mean the regular one colored single cartridge on some of them run 50$ and up. So what is 5 colored ink gonna cost??? But i would want to print me a new liver and make rainbow colored that way when i get examined the doctor finds a little surprise inside of me and maybe ill brighten up his day

Well that is definitely one way to look at that. I would start printing up I don't even know. I would have to make something weird to give to my friends just so they laugh at it when the see it. Question is also other than cost how long would they last? Obviously the more color you use to make something but how much actual usage could you get out of them.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Clixxer:

ajm531:

Well that is definitely one way to look at that. I would start printing up I don't even know. I would have to make something weird to give to my friends just so they laugh at it when the see it. Question is also other than cost how long would they last? Obviously the more color you use to make something but how much actual usage could you get out of them.

I can't imagine that they would last very long.  You can print a neon-pink wrench that would maybe get the job you're working on done...But as soon as your drop it on the concrete floor, or put a little too much leverage into the thing, you would probably have it crumble in our hands...

Then again, who's goona print a neon pink wrench over using a real one??? XD

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

Lol. I agree. I do love reading about this new tech. And I look forward to the day when this 3D printing becomes affordable for everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS