LG Rolling Out Curved OLED TVs in South Korean Market

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:11 AM
LG Electronics has begun accepting pre-orders for its 55-inch Curved OLED TV (Model 55EA9800) in South Korea and will start shipping them out next month, the electronics maker announced on Monday. Those hoping to score LG's curved television will have to pony up 15 million South Korean Won (KWR), or about $13,560 USD.

"Our Curved OLED TV is not only the proof of LG’s unmatched leadership in next-generation displays but also a testament to LG’s commitment to bringing to market the most exciting TV technology available today," said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG’s Home Entertainment Company.

LG Curved OLED TV

According to LG, it's the first and only company to commercialize both the flat screen OLED TV, which it started shipping to Korean customers in February, and the curved OLED TV. DisplaySearch reckons the market for OLED displays will grow to 7 million units within the next three years, but it remains to be seen if customers will be willing to pay a premium price tag for luxuries like a curved panel.

Why curved? The idea is to offer to an IMAX-like experience in the home. A curved display also eliminates the problem of screen-edge visual distortion and loss of detail since the entire surface is equidistant from the viewer's eyes, LG says.

The curved TV itself is just 4.3 millimeters (0.17 inches) thin and weighs 37.48 pounds. It uses proprietary WRGB technology and a four-color pixel system that features a white-sub pixel in addition to red, blue, and green.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

The design of this T.V. is really kool. But its also 3,600 more than the non-curved 55 inch LG OLED. I don't know if the curve is worth that much. I can see though, the t.v. market moving towards OLED before 4k. I feel that the OLED tech gives a better picture in the long run than an increase in the resolution of the t.v.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:34 AM

Mmmmmmmmm no thanks. While is a nice innovation and I do love seeing innovation the price is ridiculous and if I want an Imax experience I'm going to go to a imax theatre because I'm sure this cannot replace that amazing 100 ft screen. I mean isn't that point of an imax theatre?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 2,050
Johnny3D replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 11:19 AM

Cool, but too expensive for my blood. I would like to see curved screens like this become more generally available over time though.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
beni7192 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 1:15 PM

it is my dream to have one of them :(

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 1:27 PM

Redneck retirement plan dreams :P curved would be good, I wonder how these mount to wall though. If you had something built in your home and the cash to buy 3 of them then it could be an awesome home theater system.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,050
sevags replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 3:36 PM

I still think these are absolutely ridiculous unless you are buying a 200 inch model that takes up the whole wall in a room so that everyone can view properly. This design of a screen creates a sweet spot for viewing angles with the center being the optimum position and every seat after that droping in viewing quality and I can see this problem compounding when it comes to viewing 3D with glasses not that anyone actually uses that feature.

I still say the best purpose for a curved screen like this is 22-32" for single viewer use as computer monitors.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 3:38 PM

sevags:

I still think these are absolutely ridiculous unless you are buying a 200 inch model that takes up the whole wall in a room so that everyone can view properly. This design of a screen creates a sweet spot for viewing angles with the center being the optimum position and every seat after that droping in viewing quality and I can see this problem compounding when it comes to viewing 3D with glasses not that anyone actually uses that feature.

I still say the best purpose for a curved screen like this is 22-32" for single viewer use as computer monitors.

For the single monitor setup I would agree but for multiple monitors then you would have to turn your head to much. I got a 22" main and a 19" so I have a second screen and just don't seeing it work very well. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 5,125
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 9:43 PM

give it 2-3yrs it will come way down in price.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

*Drools*

TAKE MY MONEY!!! :P

Pair this freaking gorgeous television with the highest possible Google fiber subscription, and a super uber channel package and it would be the center of the worlds most amazing man cave :P

(Not to mention the super amazing gaming rig that could somehow push all those pixels onto such a screen)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Sevags, you're quite right. Curved is great, if you're sitting front row center, but folks seated on the far right and far left are going to think they've got vertigo! The image is going to dip inward to center. For a PC monitor is would be pretty cool, but that's about it. As for 3 D, don't have it. Don't want it. Refuse to wear those stupid glasses!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Kidbest100, give me a break! Man Cave? There's another one of those 21st Century expression that totally turn my stomach! Civilized people live in HOMES or APARTMENTS not frigging CAVES. Still, I 100 per cent agree with you about pairing this TV with a power quad, water-cooled gaming rig with about 100 GB of RAM, the best possible Graphics Card and a 50TB Hard Disk! Now, THAT is something worth drooling over! Especially if that gaming rig is powered by a super-fast, fiber-optic internet connection, and a great search engine. Currently the best is Google (Bing totally sux!), but I don't like the idea that Google keeps all of our private information, along with our browsing history and passes it on to the first government agency that asks for it. They really screwed over their Chinese subscribers when they handed all of their private info to the Chinese Government.

By the way, did you read rdsoxfan1234's remarks? He talks about this thing as though $13, 560 dollars is just pocket change for him! The guy just casually remarks that this curved TV costs all of $3, 600 more than the flat panel OLED model, as though he had already purchased one of those, and considered paying $10,000 dollars for the flat panel acceptable. Sheesh! Everyone else seems to agree that this thing is ridiculously over-priced.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Clixxer, you couldn't mount one of these curved things on a wall. Which is just one more thing that makes this set unattractive for the regular TV viewer. It's far too expensive, and, unless you happen to be sitting front row, dead center, you're going to feel as though you're watching TV through a Gold Fish Bowl. As for Hillbilly Retirement Heaven...Can't you just picture a gathering of Good 'Ol Boys, each with a Beer in one hand, and a huge, Dagwood Sandwich in the other, watching NASCAR on this thing? "Oh, look, Billy Bob! They're making a right turn!" "Yeah, Roy, you said it! Look, there! They're makin' another right turn!" "Shut up, you guys!" shouts the guy standing behind the couch. "I don't wantta miss them makin' this right turn!" Watching cars drive around in circles...Hillbilly fun!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,050
sevags replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 11:22 AM

Gloria what's wrong with the term "man cave"? It doesn't normally refer to the whole home any way. I live in a house, but my room is my fortress of solitude and my garage is the man cave! It's not that women aren't allowed its just there are a lot more male friends that would actually want to hang out in such a place and everything is setup and geared towards males from the posters on the wall to what we watch on TV. When I had my apartment it was the Bachelor pad. What would you prefer us call it a unisex solarium? lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:26 PM

GloriaJPuel:

Clixxer, you couldn't mount one of these curved things on a wall. Which is just one more thing that makes this set unattractive for the regular TV viewer. It's far too expensive, and, unless you happen to be sitting front row, dead center, you're going to feel as though you're watching TV through a Gold Fish Bowl. As for Hillbilly Retirement Heaven...Can't you just picture a gathering of Good 'Ol Boys, each with a Beer in one hand, and a huge, Dagwood Sandwich in the other, watching NASCAR on this thing? "Oh, look, Billy Bob! They're making a right turn!" "Yeah, Roy, you said it! Look, there! They're makin' another right turn!" "Shut up, you guys!" shouts the guy standing behind the couch. "I don't wantta miss them makin' this right turn!" Watching cars drive around in circles...Hillbilly fun!

Where their is a will their is a way to mount these. Also the "Redneck retirement plan" is just winning the lottery and their is a difference between hillbilly and Redneck. Also nothing wrong with Nascar, just remember rubbin is racing!.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I was taking another look at this...

In the first picture, why is there breaks in the monitor? It seems as though 3 of the screens have been stuck side by side.  Is that 3 of the TV's beside each other to give a larger curve, or is that how the display actually looks from the side...?

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS