Intel's Perlmutter Says Android Notebooks Are In The Plan

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,355
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 28 2013 1:18 PM
In remarks on an earnings call a couple of weeks ago, outgoing Intel CEO Paul Otellini mentioned briefly that Intel would likely be putting out touch-enabled notebooks running for as little as $200. Presumably those devices would be running Windows 8, but now it appears as though Intel may use Android on those devices.

Intel’s executive vice president and chief product officer Dadi Perlmutter told CNET that those PCs will more likely be based on Android and run on Intel Atom processors. The reasoning is simple: Android is free. Windows 8 is not. Thus, as Perlmutter also said, reaching that low $200 price point is largely dependent on how far Microsoft is willing to bend on Windows 8 licensing fees.

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity
Like this ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity, but cheaper?

Assuming Microsoft isn’t willing to acquiesce to Intel’s pricing desires, we’ll still see Windows-based notebooks for very little cash. Otellini previously indicated that notebooks based on Intel’s upcoming Haswell processors (and/or possibly with Atom chips) could retail for as little as $300-$400, with some ultrabooks dropping in price to $499-$599.

In any case, all of the above portends a shakeup in the PC industry, and it’s a trend that will lead to significantly lower-priced computers.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

I have an android tablet, but never really saw the need for a keyboard. I never really saw android as a productivity platform like macs or pcs. But this will also create more competition in the laptop and ultra-book market which is a good thing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 310
Points 2,700
JDiaz replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 2:28 PM

Android is better optimized for tablet usage, but the point of these products will be the low cost... and unlike many previous Smartbooks, these will have touch screens. So won't impair on the natural function of the OS...

While, they'll be based on the upcoming Bay Trail ATOM... meaning x86, up to 2x the performance of present Clover Trail, full 64bit support and can support up to 8GB of RAM, and linux driver support... So anyone could fairly easily load a desktop Linux distro instead of using just Android or dual boot...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Virus writers, rejoice! A new bug-riddled platform to play in.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Android, much like Windows, is really only compromised by users who install things without knowing better. Like on an Android smartphone, if you're installing some simple little Tetris clone, but the installer asks permissions for full access to your network, contacts, ability to send text messages, etc. ... you ought to be suspicious of that.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

It's more like Android isn't a productivity platform only because most people are going to use it on tablets and phones. But Android on the desktop has the potential to be very usable. There are already full document editors out there for Android, and now Microsoft is even making Office available in some way for Android. For those who don't need more than web, e-mail, messaging, occasional document editing, Android is going to be more than enough. It's all about who you're selling this to.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 4:31 PM

i agree with you for the most part. This will be for the people who need for basic mundane things as you mentioned. the only real reason this wouldnt appeal to people are those who need to run full desktop applications and im not really talking about full games or auto cad or photoshop that require much more powerful hardware or graphics cards here just there are some(i cant really name any off the top of my head) out there that some people need that they wouldnt be able to run on a android tablet other than that your absolutely right android can be used for productivity. honestly though i would rather pay for a little bit more for the transformer tf300 and but the dock which not only is it almost identical to ultra and netbook keyboards but last way longer as it provides an additional 6 hours of battery life and has usb and i think full sdcard support.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I agree in some ways. I have a Win8 Atom tablet and I find it useless without the keyboard. Android without the kb is good for consuming content, I create a bit, but there are limits and so I do not create much. Plus virtual keyboards force me to brevity. But when I was using the Transformer, I didnt feel that constraint. The problem is simple for me. I want to touch android, it i how it is built. With windows, so much is built around that second mouse button that simply isnt there in the same way.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS