EA Cuts More Jobs, Shuts Down PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Studios, Total Number of Casualties Unknown

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,689
Points 1,156,010
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 28 2013 10:48 AM
Electronic Arts is slashing more jobs yet again, and to make matters worse (or at least more annoying), the company isn’t releasing many details about the who, what, where, and when of those layoffs. Instead of coming right out and saying publicly what’s happening, EA posted this incredibly vague “organizational update” on its blog:

In recent weeks, EA has aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile. This has led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of our employees – those that are leaving EA will be missed by their colleagues and friends.

These are hard but essential changes as we focus on delivering great games and showing players around the world why to spend their time with us.
EA Montreal
EA Montreal

Unofficial reports indicate that PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Studios were a focus of the latest round of layoffs and are in fact being shut down. Game Informer says that EA is shutting down its EA Partners program, which offered a mechanism for working with independent publishers.

PopCap Vancouver
PopCap Vancouver

It’s possible that all of the above are included in the job cuts; Kotaku’s sources indicate that as much as 10% of EA’s total workforce of about 9,000 is on the chopping block. In any case, it appears as though several hundred more EA workers are on the street while the company flails around trying to regain its equilibrium.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

Haha no wonder why they have been awarded "Worst Company" two years running.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

^Agreed. EA is notorius for being a horrible place to work. Perhaps some of their workers are relieved to be released from their cages.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 4:56 PM

awww its disgustingly cute how they word firing people "aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile." which this is isnt the first time but yeah the issue statements like this all the time. i guess sim city and other beloved and decent EA games will have to be passed off to other companies

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 346
Points 2,505

I hope those poor people land on their feet. I guess EA is a horrible place to work. I understand you got to let people go from time to time but this is getting ridiculous.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:04 PM

I would bet they do land on their feet. EA is just a crappy company and they know it but seems like they don't particularly care. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

thunderdan602:

I hope those poor people land on their feet. I guess EA is a horrible place to work. I understand you got to let people go from time to time but this is getting ridiculous.

Some EA Programmer said this when asked:

Q: "So ****** ... What was it like working for EA?"

A: "Well... You know chickens right?  Free run chickens, cage chickens, farm raised chickens...  Well EA has imprisoned,caged,and shackled programmers.  Imagine a bunch of programmers stuffed into a small cubicle, constantly being whipped in the back by a very large muscular guy wearing a gustapo outfit, yelling "MAKE MORE GAMES!"  But seriously though, it isn't exactly the greatest working environment."

Sounds like somewhere we would all love to work!

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 195
SNeese replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 5:39 PM

I have not liked this company since they bought out Origin Systems and ruined Ultima.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:22 AM

>> Electronic Arts is slashing more jobs yet again, and to make matters worse [...]

>> the company isn’t releasing many details about the who, what, where, and when of those layoffs.

I'd like to put my money is on "The developers of whichever game has just shipped, at a small studio EA just had to buy a few years back, four weeks before Christmas."

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS