Google Glass Already Rooted and Hacked

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 26 2013 4:10 PM
Speaking of Google Glass and hacking, the new $1,500 spectacles, which are as yet only available to a select group of “Explorers”, have already been hacked.

Tweets from Liam McLoughlin (also known as Hexxeh), who works for Google on the Chrome side of things indicate that he found a way to do it, and although he doesn’t say for sure that he rooted the specs yet for fear of breaking them. He did, however, tweet that he found a debug mode that seems to give him ADB access, and a reboot-loader offers a way to root the device through fastboot OEM unlock.

Jay Freeman (@saurik) doesn’t think that the fastboot OEM unlock necessarily offers root access, but he’s definitely already jailbroken Google Glass. He even tweeted a picture.

Jailbroken Google Glass
Jay Freeman's jailbroken Google Glass

Gaining root access would allow people to modify Google Glass and create apps for the specs that aren’t available through conventional means such as the Google Play store. Considering how nervous this device is already making people in terms of privacy, the ability for hackers to do whatever they want with Google Glass must be unnerving.

On the contrary, for those who love to tinker with hardware and explore the bounds of new technology, it’s terribly exciting.
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

Well it was only a matter of time before this happened... And I'm actually really excited to see what the developer community does with this access. Hopefully though, it isnt taking advantage of...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 310

true that. seems anything that comes to the market, someone finds a hole in its coding

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 5:10 PM

Yep, was only a matter of time. Now we might see the full extent of what these things are capable of.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 5:29 PM

Sweet cyanogenmod on my google glass AWESOME!!!!! no that wouldnt work clearly and wouldnt really offer any benefits even if i could. but im not surprised like every android phone just about gets rooted even before its officially released so yeah since its running android it was bound to happen. Though with root i can do some amazing things with some apps on my phones and tablets so as mentioned this will allow devs to do some even more amazing things with this technology

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

Now i just need to win lottery so i can buy this type of sweet gear.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

This will probably (hopefully) allow for resale quite easily.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

This will probably (hopefully) allow for resale quite easily.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:32 PM

I knew this would happen, but not this quick. You would think that google would give a device with so much potential for good, and for harm, would give it a higher security standard...

But then again, safety is just an illusion

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS