A Novel Idea For My Next Mod

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
JamesDurr Posted: Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:48 PM

I've been contemplating for some time now, building a gaming rig into a Fish Tank.  My original concept was to build the fish tank out of acrylic.

It would house a removable MB tray on rails, that stands vertically with the outputs at the top.  It would have plenty of channels for air flow along the sides, with fans for induction and exhaust. The power supply would be modular, bolting in the back at the bottom of the tank.  The HDD/SSD and Optical Disk Drive would mount in a compartment in the bottom front.  The system would be water cooled, mutually exclusive from the water in the fish tank.

All of the electronics in this design would housed in dry compartments, where no moisture could accumulate.

Recently however, a friend in my CISCO class showed me how a system was designed and submerged within Mineral Oil.  This concept has completely blown my mind and has me debating re-working my previous design to accommodate for a less complex Mineral Oil submersion.  

It would require either the use of a pump inside the tank to push the oil through a radiator outside the tank, or my favored option is to modify an AC unit to allow for phase change cooling to be preformed upon the oil.

I'll be doodling up a storm and looking at parts & costs... but it would be splendid to ... cough... win... cough... a give-away...cough... and focus my investment on the tank design.

I'll add photos later.  The design will likely happen, even if it is at a slow pace.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:02 PM

Dude both would be awesome. I've actually been searching craigslist lately for old fish tanks in good condition to do the same with mineral oil. I can't say I would use my current system to do it in but definitely something I would like to try out with some old components I got sitting in the closet. When I saw the first videos of people doing that it blew my mind and have been wanting to try it out. I just don't want to pony up the money to buy a fish tank but keep waiting on one that comes around for free that would usable.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing since both ways would be pretty cool to do. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS