new processor, which is better?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 135
tor1n Posted: Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:41 PM

AMD or Intel? i am only runing a dual core p4 3.0 right now and can barely run games.. im kinda hoping to win the contest for the new computer but yea just like everyone else , i probably won't win. so thats why i ask the question, what are the ups and downs to each high end processor? i have used both before ( AMD and Intel )  but as new technology came out i'm not sure what currently performs the best for gaming computers. please explain why they are better, not just ' intel' 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:06 PM

Man, it really comes down to budget in my opinion. Intel core i7's are definitely better for gaming but come at a premium unless you wait for deals like Microcenter has on the 3770k once a month but since it is in store pickup not everyone can get one. 

If you go AMD you can usually get a better board since the cost of the chip is lower if you have to stay under a certain budget and will get good performance out of it or go Intel and have better. Then again if you are gaming while having a good CPU counts alot, having a good GPU counts even more. 

So the real question is what your budget for new CPU/Mobo/GPU?

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:08 PM

This is pretty sound advice.  Intel has been destroying AMD with their processor speeds lately. I see AMD as more of the "budget chip" as they provide decent speeds for the price. I would much prefer intel over AMD.  However, there are a lot of die-hard AMD fans out there!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 135
tor1n replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:13 PM

budget isn't too much an issue, it is more trying to get the best out of both worlds ( business & gaming ) as i do both.  I have been researching the i7's and yea there is quite the premium on them, but are they that worth the investment?  I just find that games nowadays are very heavily reliant on processing than straight GPU performance, and trying to figure out what the best approach is. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:05 PM

tor1n:

...I just find that games nowadays are very heavily reliant on processing than straight GPU performance, and trying to figure out what the best approach is. 

Some might say that games are much more dependent on GPU processing horsepower, rather than CPU processing power.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:15 PM

I agree ^

Games these days a more dominantly dependent on your GPU rather than CPU.

From my limited knowledge, I have come up with this:

The i7 chips are more for the hard-core users.  If your'e going to be just gaming, get an i5, because that is basically all the power that most games are going to be able to take hold of.  A very powerful GPU is what you will need.  For example, you could get an i5 3570K, and it will run lets say, battlefield 3 with a 7970 at ohh... 80FPS on ultra.  You can spend more to get the i7 3770K, and you will get 90FPS, That's not that much of a difference for the money.  HOWEVER...When it comes to rendering the awesome battlefield 3 video you just recorded, the i7 3770K is going o pull ahead because it has the extra horsepower aimed at the hard-core user available to harness when doing things like rendering videos.

It all comes down to two things.  Budget, and usage.

AMD is generally pretty matched with intel in lower end and mid-range gaming benchmarks these days, but when it comes to high-end workstation and productivity, or extremely high-end gaming, intel pulls ahead by far with their i7's.

So, if budget is not an option for you, go for the intel processor, because it is going to match what AMD does on the gaming side, and possibiy do it better, and then be there for you when you need it in a high - usage scenario.

Feel free to give further advice guys, I'm sure you will have different opinions.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:19 PM

Kidbest100 hit the nail on the head. In the end that is why I mentioned budget. 3770k is a beast of a chip and give you alittle performance than the 3570k for gaming but not much. Having the 3770k comes in handy when you got CPU intensive programs you are running. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Deneb replied on Tue, May 14 2013 10:32 AM

I had AMD processor. It was very hot. My new PC have Intel cpu and its really good

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

What I have learned over the years, is that Intel is good for extreme stuff. The problem I have with Intel is that it  feels like it starts to die down in speeds over time. My AMD processors have never died down and feel as good as they did from the first day.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
kardude77 replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 5:50 PM

I would go with Intel. They seem to have more experience with processors and are better built (in my opinion). I have used computers with Intel and AMD processors and I liked the Intel much better

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,578
Points 103,250
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:42 PM

I have both. One is a i7-2600K System, and the other is an FX-8350. The Intel box has a EVGA GTX-680 in it, and the AMD PC has two GTX-570s in SLI.

Both of them game quite well, and the AMD box is not lacking in any way. (I speak of gaming, and not benchmarks)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
conniption replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 10:38 AM

I personally like AMD, you don't really need a strong CPU for gaming and I feel as though I get more bang for my buck with AMD. Though the stock coolers can be loud you can always upgrade to a water cooling block.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,578
Points 103,250
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 1:56 PM

I use a closed loop Asetek 570LX for my AMD build. It has four 120mm Cougar Vortex PWM fans in a push/pull configuration.

It does a great job of cooling the CPU quietly.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
snuggle replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 2:36 PM

2 pc and both run pretty much alright. i wanna get an intel but no more budget.. like u i wont win the thingy anyways but itll be nice to have it tho..

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

After AMD set up a bad rep for themselves with the release of the bulldozer series their are always mixed feeling and oppinions with AMD. I love AMD cpus but when it comes down to it intel is usually the winner. The 8350 does compete well with the i5-3570k however and considering the heating on Hawell CPUs an 8350 can be overclocked further than a 4670k.  Now put the 8350 against a 3770k or 4770k and I think it is beat but considering the difference in cost I give the win to the 8350. You can watch a video from Razorworld on youtube which does a comparison of the 8350 vs the 3rd gen CPUs. Now of course everything under the 8350 can never compare but they are for budget builds after all.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 3:49 PM

I agree with Kidbest100, an i5 with a high end GPU can be the best option, however if money is not an option then go with the i7. AMD has excellent options with multiple cores but for gaming those are a pretty much useless at this point.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS