NYC Subways Land Plan To Have Mobile And Wi-Fi Signals Underground

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,615
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 25 2013 10:49 PM
New York City's subway system is certainly a boon for locals and tourists alike, and while it's old and oftentimes late, the network of stops is impressive. But, there's one complaint that has grown more and more direct as the digital world has grown: there's, like, no signal down there. Exiting the street and heading down into an NYC subway station means that your phone signal is all but dead, and local government has been working to fix that. This week, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced today that 30 additional subway stations now have wireless voice and data communication capability allowing New York City subway riders to make and receive cell phone calls, send and receive texts and e-mail and access Wi-Fi underground. Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) officials were joined by executives from Transit Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile USA and Boingo Wireless to demonstrate the new capability at the City's busiest station, Times Square.

"This goes beyond providing cell service underground. It brings our customers a new level of security –with the ability to dial 911 in an emergency," said Governor Cuomo. "Customers now know that when they see something, they can now say something using their device to call 911. And now with all the major carriers on board, the vast majority of MTA customers will have the ability to do so." Representatives from Verizon and Sprint were also on hand to announce that both carriers are finalizing agreements to participate in the network, meaning that all four major carriers are expected to provide cell phone and data connectivity to their customers in underground stations in the first two phases of the project.The 36 stations that are now online have an average annual ridership of approximately 7 million customers per station.

While the network allows full cell phone and Wi-Fi connectivity, enabling voice and data functions such as phone calls, text messages, emails, music and video streaming and more, all underground, it also enables important services that improve safety and security. E911 will allow dispatchers to know when a call is being placed underground and the approximate location of the caller. Employees and first responders will also have enhanced communications capability in an emergency. Transit Wireless and the carriers are paying 100 percent of the cost of the project, estimated at up to $200 million, including the cost of NYC Transit forces that provide flagging, protection and other support services. The MTA and Transit Wireless evenly split the revenues from occupancy fees paid by the wireless carriers and other sub-licensees of the network. Transit Wireless is paying MTA a minimum annual compensation that will grow to $3.3 million once the full build out of the network is complete.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:08 AM

Obviously I do not live in new york nor have been there. My only experience with subways are in D.C. but I figured this would have already been done or in the works. Granted everything is the money game but this seems alittle late but I guess better than never.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:39 AM

http://www.nycsubwaywireless.com/ has a list of which stations have it and the site is mobile friendly. So far I have only gotten texts at a few stations below ground and my phone rang at another but since I was on a train i didn't bother to answer because once the train leaves the station i assume click disconnect..

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80

Been waiting years for this. I've missed so many calls from work by being stuck down there waiting for the trains with no signal.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:55 PM

(Disclaimer this is not sarcasm in any way) Im glad to know that yourself and millions of other riders pain and suffering are finally over. I too live where there are no subways and have visited new york once and maybe used the subway once but for those that live there they can get more done on the subway instead of wasting there time those that live off their cell phones can make use of those long or short rides. Its awesome to see this coming to light

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:14 AM

If I had to deal with the subways on a daily basis, I would be happy about this too. It's kind of funny when you think about how our ~connectivity~ has become so necessary to our generation. (and how older people resisted it)

I was on a trip to PA with my wife last weekend (both of her parents passed away and we were collecting family heirlooms) and we had to find a U-Haul dealer up there. My Garmin got us lost ~twice~ on the way, for the first time ever since I bought it. I felt betrayed by the the little electronic bugger. (real grown up reaction, huh?)

I pulled out my iPad and used Google maps to find the place and it was spot-on. This is the first time using Google maps and I'm glad that I have it for a backup now.

So yeah,.....connectivity rules.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS