MacBook Pro 13 Takes Top Spot For ‘Best Performing Windows Laptop’

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 25 2013 12:13 PM
Quick, someone give Alanis Morissette a ring and see if she's still adding lyrics to her song Ironic, because of she is, she's going to want to include some recent findings by Soluto, a cloud-based PC management service. In particular, we'd like to share with her Saluto's ranking of a mid-2012 model Apple MacBoo Pro 13 as the best performing Windows laptop. Come again?

As surprising and ironic as that sounds, and despite the fact that the MacBook Pro in question is the most expensive PC among the top three at $1,199 (the other two being an Acer Aspire E1-571 for $429 and Dell XPS 13 for $979), Soluto claims its ranking is spot on.

"A main factor in this machine’s metrics is the fact that every Windows installation on it is clean. With PC manufacturers loading so much crapware on new laptops, this is a bit of an unfair competition. But on the other hand, PC makers should look at this data and aspire to ship PCs that perform just as well as a cleanly installed MacBook Pro," Soluto explains.

MacBook Pro Steve Ballmer

Soluto isn't blind to the criticisms it's opening itself up to and readily admits and there's "sense behind" the claim that it's a bit uneven to compare a cleanly installed MacBook Pro with an OEM-imaged PC from Acer or Dell. To appease those who feel that way, Soluto plans to release a separate report comparing only cleanly installed machines.

As to the current data and ranking, Soluto highlights how infrequently crashes are reported on the MacBook Pro running Windows, the relatively low number of average background processes, average boot time, how often it hangs, and the nearly non-existent Blue Screen errors (0.01 per week).

We have to admit we're not totally surprised by this, even if we don't fully agree that a MacBook Pro is the ideal tool for Windows (the lack of a touchscreen is a major knock now if you plan to run Windows 8). When we reviewed Apple's MacBook Air 13 with Ivy Bridge, we ran it through a series of Windows-based benchmarks running Windows 7 via Boot Camp and came away impressed.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 1:34 PM

Well I have always liked the Mac Book Pro's hardware design, seems on the hardware side it is still one of the best out there. It doesn't surprise me that Windows ran great on it since its still a better OS and than that crap Apple puts out.

But they need to do the test on clean installs and see how well it runs, that is the only true way to do this.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

What the ***? No Samsung? No Asus? No MSI? No Sager? Sony? Toshiba? Really? You best be joking. Completely illegitimate ranking.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:34 PM

Probably, I mean it states that they really didn't even do a fair comparison to start with. They need to expand who is in the test but i'm sure Apple paid them off too :P

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 11:14 PM

as an avid android fan i can attest to how crapware or bloat ware that is shoved on to our computers or in my case cell phone Os slows it down and takes up resources when i would never use any of that stuff in the first place. IT takes alot of time to determine whats not necessary so i can uninstall it and free up space and increase performance. Well while theres no proff that apple paid them off regardless at least he agreed to try clean installs on other the other pcs later on and release a report. but what i dont understand is why is he using and underpowered dell laptop and as was mentioned by mayhem matthew no other laptops in this running? What was the point?? Was it all similar hardware??? All that said apples laptops all have a very nice form factor and i wouldnt mind having a macdows/winmac pro laptop.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

this is just a lame publicity stunt to get clicks on parts of the internet where the URLs have dust on them

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS