Digital Storm Looks to Vanquish DIY Debate with New Line of Gaming PCs

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 24 2013 2:48 AM
PC enthusiasts have long discussed the logic of buying a pre-built gaming system when one could be put together by oneself using off the shelf parts for less money and with more personal satisfaction. Of course, there are merits to both ways of doing things, but Digital Storm believes that it’s essentially laid to rest the issue of cost with its new line of VANQUISH gaming PCs.

Based on Newegg prices as of a few days ago, Digital Storm says that the four VANQUISH systems will only cost $23-$58 more than a DIY system built using identical components. (Those are very specific dollar amounts.)

Digital Storm VANQUISH

Regardless of cost, Digital Storm promises pre-built and pre-tested systems that it can ready for shipping immediately after someone places an order, as well as a 3-year limited warranty, 72-hour stress testing and benchmarking, and lifetime tech support.

DS Vanquish chart

You can see that there’s quite a range of options over these four SKUs. All four levels use a Corsair 300R chassis and have 1TB 7200RPM hard drives (the Level 4 also has a 120GB SSD), and 8GB of Corsair 1600MHz RAM, and what appears to be the same optical drive, but that’s where the similarities end.

Systems offer up to an Intel Core i7-3770K CPU, EVGA GTX 660 Ti (2GB) graphics card, and an ASUS P8Z77-VLX motherboard. There’s also Corsair H60 liquid cooling and factory overclocking of up to 4.4GHz. The Level 4 comes in at $1,399, but the Level 1 costs just $699.
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:05 PM

That is cool and all but it is still using lesser parts. If i'm going to spend over a grand on a computer then I want a better case and PSU so if later on I do the DIY route I can expand. It isn't bad to start off with that is for sure but it doesn't leave you any room and for another $100 or $150 you can do alot better.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,079
Points 10,000
sevags replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:52 PM

I agree with Clixxer here, the idea around this has a lot of merit but in reality it probably doesn't pan out all too well. I understand their pricing is only right above neweggs for the hardware so maybe it seems like a great deal from that perspective the extra cost being the companies labor but you still lose the ability to pick and choose your components, what if I don't like this mobo, or I want the core i7 but with traditional HDD's and no SSD's. What if newegg is simply not the cheapest for every part?

They are getting these selected parts at a quantity discount and selling it to us at neweggs price but assembled of course.

It's a great idea, but I wouldn't go this route and I still probably wouldn't recommend them to others. I would gladly help someone do it themselves though.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:17 PM

This is good but only for a certain types of people. For example those who love games but arent techie enough or really care to put together a whole system by themselves. B those who similarly dont have the know how or want to go thru putting together their own build but also who like options especially if your strapped for cash but still want pretty decent gaming rig.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:25 PM

Yeah I agree with what both of yall added. I know some people that know how to put a computer together but hate doing it so you can add them in with the people that do not have the knowledge also.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 2,050
Johnny3D replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 7:22 PM

I'd rather build my own purely because I would make other choices on some of the components. For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, this is great. I certainly would scoff about getting the level 4 for free or something like that, but if I'm laying down the money, I'm going with some other choices than what they did. Even if it ends up costing a bit more.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

All those builds are terribly underpowered as far as the GPU is concerned. This is why building yourself is better. ***, 3770K but a 660 Ti? You be dumb son. Lower CPU and get a 670 instead. Digital Storm is pretty decent though as far as pricing goes and the parts they use are better than ibuyshit.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

Great prices but I have to agree with all of you. That power supply barely cuts it. But still, these would be good for those who want a gaming pc, but not have much tech experience.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 10:27 PM

I love to build my own PCs. I build as high-end as I can, and then add to it as time goes on. That will never change, but I'm glad to see that they're proactively trying to lower costs.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
Mattos replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 10:49 PM

It is definitely nice to see a company make a computer that is reasonably priced. But saving a little money is not the only appeal of DIY. It feels good to have built something yourself and it is fun picking out the individual components for your build. 

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 380

Almost all the manufactures let you customize your build to some extent. This is pretty comprehensive, though.

What would it be like if the mobo manufacturers did this? I know a lot of the high end power system builders offer a range of motherboards-to me, this is what's wrong with most pre-built systems. it's often hard, if not impossible to get mobo info on a system.

I mention this because a screwdriver is a deadly weapon in my hands...

I don't know how viable this would be with anything less than top end gear.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 12:13 AM

If they really are getting some sort of discount from newegg they should give you the option to just get all the parts at a possibly lower rate then it would cost to buy them all separate and let you build it. They can't just be getting everything from newegg. Saying that I know newegg is typically the cheapest and what most people have access to. 

Its like a 3770k on newegg is 329.99 I think but I can run up to my local Microcenter and pick it up for about $230-240 depending on the day of the week since it goes on sale usually once or twice a month. 

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 380

Yeah. I don't mind the assembler taking a small piece of the hardware cost (markup on retail), but some sort of discount, or even free assembly if there's enough volume.

Reason for all this is I'm thinking of someone building tonymac86.com "approved" Hackintosh builds, and having them set up so the end user could install the OS.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:58 PM

I'll give this a pass because the tl;dr is that companies like Digital Storm and Maingear build really solid rigs offering real value. They're leagues closer to the machines hobbyist builders build, probably because the computer guys are still in control of the company. More power to them if they manage a purchasing management/inventory strategy that increases options without having to charge $200 for a 4GB RAM upgrade like those companies run by accontants.

Still hoping that a company run by people who actually like computers gets big enough to apply this idea to the business computer market. That there's one fat pie with a lot of crappy apples.

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 380

Still looking for someone who let's you choose the motherboard and build out.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50

I don't think anyone wants a 7750 or a 650 gpu, why not beef up the graphics and the power supply a bit and charge $100 more for something many times more powerful? On their site you CAN build your own, but FAR from these prices of course!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50

Many do. Cyberpower pc, ibuypowerpc,..MANY more mobo's are offered and everything is customizable form the mobo on up.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95

Newegg these days isn't quite the cheapest place to go for all parts, the DIY route will still prevail as you have the option of shopping around. and for a $1300 pc, they could be way faster. But you are always going to have clients that don't want to do it themselves, and would rather pay someone. Like mowing your lawn, everyone can do it themselves(for the most part) but you're still going to get ppl, who either dont want to, or dont have the time to do it, and would rather just pay someone to do it, than save the money.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

They might shave out all the other Pre-built guys in some cases, but DIY will always win

Why?

Because we have the ability to do it ourselves, and scour for the absolute lowest prices. We do not have to make a royalty on anything, so we can almost always do it cheaper!

However, most pre-built companies order directly from the hardware supplier. For example they will buy their processors directly from AMD or intel, and that saves them money, over us DIY guys who have to buy from someone who bought the CPU from intel or AMD and now have to sell higher to make a profit... They have us in that aspect.

All in all, if I am investing thousands of dollars into a computer, I want the best parts. I don't want mid-range parts stuffed into a shiny mid-range case with a flashy sticker on it, that I could have built myself from the ground up.

Sure, they are shaving off 30 bucks here and there. That 30$ more I would pay would go into the joy of me building it the way that I want it, with more quality control, and a higher standard. I'm going to pay more attention to detail, so that I mount my cooler properly for better temps, so that my PSU cables are managed in a neat way!

Its the small things that make my computer personal to me that makes that small price difference worth it.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would definitely rather spend 30$-50$ more (Which is kinda chump change when you're buying a 1500$ rig) to get my PC the way that I want it, and be able to look at it and say:

"I built that!"

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
ez460 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 8:31 PM

The level 4 deal is exceptional. Kudos to Digital Storm!! I hope you sell a million units!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS