BeagleBone Black Offers Palm-Sized Linux Computer For $45

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,055
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:03 PM
We sure like where this is going. While the original BeagleBone was around $89, there's a new guy on the block that offers similar functionality for around half the price. The world of small, cheap barebones kits is growing, with items like the Raspberry Pi garnering all sorts of attention these days. The new BeagleBone Black is described as an open-source Linux computer, and it'll fit within your palm. It's being priced at just $45, offering up a 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor, 3D graphics accelerator, a pair of PRU 32-bit RISC CPUs, 2GB of storage and a microSD slot alongside 512MB of RAM.

The board carries support for Ethernet, micro-HDMI, and USB, allowing it to be just about as flexibile as your imagination allows it. BeagleBone Black offers designers flexibility with expansion headers, including 65 digital I/Os, seven analog inputs and access to a variety of analog and digital peripherals. BeagleBone Black is based on production-ready hardware and software, helping developers, makers, hobbyists and students around the world speed development time. In addition, all of the components on BeagleBone Black, including TI's Sitara AM335x processor, are commercially available.

BeagleBone Black comes pre-loaded with a Linux operating system and Cloud9 IDE to kickstart development. So, what are you waiting for?
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:04 AM

Makes the raspberry pi look like crap at that price point. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 11:47 AM

Well i kind of have to agree with you clixxer but it wouldnt be long till someone tried to challenge the pi with with better but still extremely inexpensive hardware. Credit is due to pi for kinda of making this more mainstream. just like pcs and smartphones more competition means better choices for the consumer no matter what the target market is

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 3:15 PM

Yeah, I liked the Pi i got sitting around but it just doesn't have the horsepower to do what I want. I know there was been suggestions on doing different things. Im curious to see what this could do and im sure it won't take long for xmbc to be ported to this also.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS