Confirmed: Windows 8.1 Will Bring Back The Start Button

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,368
Points 1,192,005
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 22 2013 6:47 PM
Thank goodness. According to the Verge’s “sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans”, the upcoming update/upgrade to Windows 8, Window 8.1 (or “Windows Blue”, as it had been previously known), will bring with it the Start button.

Although some of us are perfectly happy with the new Windows 8, others--well, most--of us are still trying to convince ourselves not to hate it. Many feel that although Microsoft built Windows 8 to take advantage of touchscreens while maintaining all the powerful and familiar features of the conventional desktop, the company ended up with an unpolished ‘tweener OS that leaves something to be desired.

windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 should also let users boot directly into the traditional desktop environment instead of being forced to boot to the touch-friendly Start screen, which will also be a welcome feature for a great number of users.
  • | Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
JAquino replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:21 PM

ha! called it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:30 PM

I've been hearing rumors that they're bringing back the start button, but not the start menu. Allegedly the start button will just take you to the start screen.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 558
Points 4,510
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:39 PM

What will people whinge about now?

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 340
Diggity0 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:43 PM

I find charms more annoying then no start button. Always gets in the way when the mouse cursor gets too close to the edge of the screen.

That's the next thing to whine about.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Heard the same about a week or so ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
JohnStrk replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:37 PM

Classic Shell start button works just fine for me! Not surprised about this update though. Should satisfy all the dumb users out there that don't know how to customize their OS. Windows 8 is great!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:50 PM

I'm glad that "free market will" talked to them in a language that they (and their stockholders) can understand. (crappy sales) If they didn't have the ~advantage~ of Win-8 being preloaded on new computers, sales figures would be a lot worse than they are. (Microsoft will not release any Win-8 sales figures to the public as it is) I wonder why?

The vast majority of people just didn't like it. I never considered it to be people whining either. The complaints were valid. Changing the OS's user interface into a tablet form on PC's was a sucky idea from the get-go.

When their partners also started to complain about low sales of product because of Win-8, they had a double whammy happening to them.

I don't know why they don't release a patch to the existing Win-8 and be done with it.

It's the smart thing to do,.......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

All MS needed to was see this before their Win 8 launch and they could have solved the issue before hand... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:59 PM

I wish they would release a patch. I like Stardock but I hate having something "extra" in the background for functionality. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
JimAret replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 4:59 AM

Too late... Linux/Desktop is the perfect option for me. Free, reliable and truly customizable. No need for the windows crap anymore!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 10:42 AM

Thats cool and all but you can't really game on linux.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:36 PM

Clixxer:

That's slowly changing with Steam Support for games in some Linux Distributions.  Linux is developing quickly, and it's a viable OS for many people. I use Linux Mint and Zorin OS on a few older PCs that I have here. No problems with them either.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:58 PM

what else can be said other than im really really happy this is coming back.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 3:28 PM

realneil:

Clixxer:

That's slowly changing with Steam Support for games in some Linux Distributions.  Linux is developing quickly, and it's a viable OS for many people. I use Linux Mint and Zorin OS on a few older PCs that I have here. No problems with them either.

True I know Steam is putting alot of hours into it but they still need developers to port games over to Linux and I know from what Gabe Newell said in one of his addresses is that just its gonna take awhile. I just look at it as until Linux has the same support that Windows does I do not have a reason to even touch it. I've used Linux before and it has his positives and negatives but when it comes to gaming that is still a no brainer for me on what OS to use.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 6:13 PM

yeah i feel ya. but basically what your saying is youll never use linux(at least for gaming) since there will never be a time when linux has caught up with the support windows has unless all of a sudden every game from here on out carries support for linux and all previous games get linux but that wont probably happen for a long long time again as stated it will never officially catch up.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 8:41 PM

>> What will people whinge about now?

The fact that the upgrade isn't free, has DRM that benefits media consortium's at the expense of your fair use, still has the worst track record on viruses, it's 'smartscreen' tells Microsoft everything you're downloading, etc.

All this pain could have been avoided, but Microsoft insisted that everyone go through the start screen because putting the store close to your face and getting a 30% cut is more important to them than producing the most usable interface. You should thank the whiners for forcing them to backpedal in favor of the users.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 10:25 PM

3vi1:

>> What will people whinge about now?

The fact that the upgrade isn't free, has DRM that benefits media consortium's at the expense of your fair use, still has the worst track record on viruses, it's 'smartscreen' tells Microsoft everything you're downloading, etc.

All this pain could have been avoided, but Microsoft insisted that everyone go through the start screen because putting the store close to your face and getting a 30% cut is more important to them than producing the most usable interface. You should thank the whiners for forcing them to backpedal in favor of the users.

Well I can't complain depending on how much the upgrade is. I bought 2 keys to Windows 8 Pro for $17 bucks each. If it is somewhere around there for the upgrade and it has the features I care about then ill pay for the upgrade. 

I do agree that it is probably because of the whining that MS is changing it for the better. All in all they tried to do something and it failed but hopefully they fix it. Its like going from Windows 98 to ME and that a disaster that was until 2000 and XP came out.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 12:32 PM

>> If it is somewhere around there for the upgrade and it has the features I care about then ill pay for the upgrade.

At that point, you've paid $34 for a non-transferable license, a new version of mspaint, and the return of features that were in Windows 7. Meanwhile, Microsoft gets a new monopoly for software sales and distribution - reaping huge profits on 3rd party software. Shouldn't they be giving it away for free?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 12:56 PM

3vi1:

>> If it is somewhere around there for the upgrade and it has the features I care about then ill pay for the upgrade.

At that point, you've paid $34 for a non-transferable license, a new version of mspaint, and the return of features that were in Windows 7. Meanwhile, Microsoft gets a new monopoly for software sales and distribution - reaping huge profits on 3rd party software. Shouldn't they be giving it away for free?

Yeah they should if you have a valid key to windows 8 but you know they won't. Only reason I would care about upgrading at some point is to stay more or less updated. Windows 7 even though it could last another 5 years is on its way out and $34 bucks is peanuts to what you usually have to pay to have a legit copy of Windows. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:15 PM

Clixxer:
Windows 7 even though it could last another 5 years is on its way out

Not in my house it isn't. I still see no reason to pay money for Win-8 when I already own Win-7. (other than Microsoft wants me to)

I agree that within 5 years there may be better alternatives to Win-7. Whether or not they come from Microsoft remains to be seen. Smile When they gave us a years free trial of Win-7 we had plenty of time to  fall in love with it and later on, to buy it. It was a superior product compared to XP and ~way~ in the hell better than the Vista turd.

With Win-8's trial, we had plenty of time to love it or hate it, with the vast majority hating it. I'm glad for the ones who love Win-8, more power to them, and all of that shtuff.

I can wait for something better.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 5:15 PM

realneil:

Clixxer:
Windows 7 even though it could last another 5 years is on its way out

Not in my house it isn't. I still see no reason to pay money for Win-8 when I already own Win-7. (other than Microsoft wants me to)

I agree that within 5 years there may be better alternatives to Win-7. Whether or not they come from Microsoft remains to be seen. Smile When they gave us a years free trial of Win-7 we had plenty of time to  fall in love with it and later on, to buy it. It was a superior product compared to XP and ~way~ in the hell better than the Vista turd.

With Win-8's trial, we had plenty of time to love it or hate it, with the vast majority hating it. I'm glad for the ones who love Win-8, more power to them, and all of that shtuff.

I can wait for something better.

Well I completely agree with you. I should have worded that better in that Microsoft is putting Windows 7 out on the curb even though it has tons of life left in it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 5:31 PM

Clixxer:
I should have worded that better in that Microsoft is putting Windows 7 out on the curb even though it has tons of life left in it.

I agree with that. But I don't blame them for introducing new OSs every now and then. They're ~supposed~ to make money as a corporation as we all know, but they have a responsibility to their customers to improve as they go. They didn't do that with Win-8.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

I am so happy to learn they are fixing this mistake. It is my opinion that once you set a paradigm some aren't meant to be changed.

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 2:09 PM

realneil:

Clixxer:
I should have worded that better in that Microsoft is putting Windows 7 out on the curb even though it has tons of life left in it.

I agree with that. But I don't blame them for introducing new OSs every now and then. They're ~supposed~ to make money as a corporation as we all know, but they have a responsibility to their customers to improve as they go. They didn't do that with Win-8.

Nah you can't and not everything will be gold like XP and Windows 7. I dislike Windows 8 as much as anyone else but I do like what they were trying to do, they just left out one to many things and implemented it wrong but they probably lost money and we can only hope they learned a lesson.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 2:46 PM

I think the their mistake was ignoring all of the negative public opinion, and then ~dictating~ what we were going to get. This isn't the first time that Redmond has made an error like this. People don't like to have crappy ideas crammed down their throats.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 2:52 PM

Ima wait for Win 9 PC Lite, what are we looking at? Spring 2015? Smile

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 4:40 PM

eunoia:

Ima wait for Win 9 PC Lite, what are we looking at? Spring 2015? Smile

LOL!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50

it's a 'start' =P

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Good, that was one reason I wouldn't switch.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
DirkMoser replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 9:02 AM

dont u think the word "confirmed" is a Little exaggerated ?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

It is a littttttle bit exaggerated...However given the somewhat decent source, I would also call it confirmed.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS