Google Glass Runs On Android, But Will It Get The Same Updates?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:20 PM
Google just started up the production line for the first Explorer Edition Glass headsets, but up until now, it remained a mystery as to what was powering everything. Was it a version of Chrome? A flavor of Android? Something else entirely? Wonder no more. The company's CEO (Larry Page) finally let the world know about the engine behind the wearable computer, saying the following on this week's earnings call: "Obviously, Glass runs on Android, so [Android] has been pretty transportable across devices, and I think that will continue.”

He was answering a slightly unrelated question, but nevertheless, the answer is now out there. We don't know yet what version of Android is onboard, nor if it'll be eligible for the same OTA updates as Nexus-branded phones and tablets, but surely we'll find out as the early adopters begin to play with their new toys.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I would think it runs a custom android.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
JohnyDoe replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 12:29 PM

I would bet that GGlass will run a stripped down version of Android, and OTA updates would likely be the form of updating it. Perhaps the GGlass Android version will be called "Monocle".

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:31 AM

I could see a stripped down version but I doubt it would be a different version of android just for the glasses. I wouldn't put it past them to have a modified version. While monocle would be cool i'm sure they want to keep the theme they have been using.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 10:00 AM

yeah i dont see why its even being questioned right now about the updates. Since its a stripped down version of android whether its 4.1 or 4.2 or maybe its neither. So if we dont know the exact specs then we really shouldnt worry about updates right now. Also this is googles wearable brain child. Pretty sure they are gonna take care of it.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS