Google Fiber Could Be Coming Soon to Provo, Utah

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,110
Points 1,184,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 17 2013 7:18 PM
Google announced that the next lucky locale to get Google Fiber service will be Provo, Utah. Instead of starting from scratch and building the infrastructure, the company is in the process of purchasing iProvo, which is a pre-existing fiber-optic network, from the city of Provo.

That network, however, is over a decade old, so Google will have to perform upgrades and also finish building out the network to reach all the homes along the network route. There’s one catch, though: the city council has to vote on it. “Our agreement with Provo isn’t approved yet—it’s pending a vote by the City Council scheduled for next Tuesday, April 23, and also is subject to satisfaction of additional closing conditions,” reads a Google Fiber blog post. “We intend to begin network upgrades when the deal is closed.”

Google Fiber Network Box

Unless the Provo city council is insane, the measure will be approved.

Google says that customers can expect service starting late this year--which is several months sooner than Austin, Texas will get it--and it will offer all the same options that Kansas City has received--free 5Mbps Internet for 7 years, gigabit Internet for $70 a month, or gigabit Internet plus TV service for $120 a month.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,535
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 8:08 PM

Is this rollout random, or is there a reason that Google is targeting these specific cities?

"Unless the Provo city council is insane"

Come on now, most city councils are insane ;-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

yes....Yes.....YES!!

Fiber-bots, ROLLOUT!

I hope that google fiber keeps on spreading, and eventually becomes known as the fiber plague, so that all those damn ISP's will get a big fat notice to stop screwing over their customers...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 12:34 AM

My guess is that KC and Austin were very strategic and planned out based on a variety of factors, while the Provo thing perhaps just landed in their laps. Provo has the existing fiber network, and maybe Google just saw this as an easy win. I back that up with nothing but speculation, except for the additional curious fact that Provo service would presumably launch before Austin. That tells me that Provo wasn't/isn't part of the carefully thought-out rollout plan. But hey, whatever works, amiright?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:25 AM

I have no pipeline (or Gb/s connexion) to Google's leadership, but this move should, I submit, be seen against the situation for community broadband in the US and, not least, efforts at the state level to restrict the rights of municipalities to provide broadband services to residents....

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:30 AM

Here the link which inadvertently disappeared above : http://muninetworks.org/content/level-playing-field-0....

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 1:27 PM

scolaner:

My guess is that KC and Austin were very strategic and planned out based on a variety of factors, while the Provo thing perhaps just landed in their laps. Provo has the existing fiber network, and maybe Google just saw this as an easy win. I back that up with nothing but speculation, except for the additional curious fact that Provo service would presumably launch before Austin. That tells me that Provo wasn't/isn't part of the carefully thought-out rollout plan. But hey, whatever works, amiright?

I think you are exactly correct. Updating and reconfiguring a existing fiber network isn't that hard and if they can expand to another city within months instead of a year or so for the right price then why not. Google is making the investment and people obviously want this so its sounds just like an easy win win for that town and Google.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 985
KOwen replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 2:25 PM

Screw Provo Utah. Come to Sacramento, CA and purchase Surewest fiber please. Stop ignoring ur home state Google!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 6:07 PM

Well hey atleast they are getting closer KOwen. Honestly I bet Google has between 2-5 more areas by the end of the year they plan to expand to. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 985
KOwen replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 1:25 PM

Initially I didn't care if they started elsewhere because I figured it was only a matter of time before they rolled out the service to more and more areas. But I read another article that stated that Google isn't interested in wiring up the whole country, they are mainly doing this as a stunt for a few select cities to get traditional ISP's off their monopolistic overcharging asses. That's how I read it anyhow.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 1:59 PM

Yeah that's how I read it also. It really depends on if they can make a profit on it or not is how far they will expand. I know where I live I won't see anything for a long time since i'm in a suburb of Dallas that is all underground for infrastructure assuming they plan on coming here at all.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:31 PM

Utah has alot of things that make it prime by targeting provo if they spread a couple blocks into orem which is right next to provo literally you dont realize when your has switched towns. Anyways that would next them two fairly large colleges and there housing complexes which would provide solid customer base and cheap but decent workforce. Also as we are not environutty in our state the cost of digging up places to lay line is not to extreme and with low state taxes who can complain.

Also we have novell I think primary location and a Symantec branch and a new nasa data center. Its a booming right now with tech companys.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 1:04 AM

That makes sense. I'm wondering if between Austin and Provo is this is Google's way of seeing if some bigger tech companies would use their service over what they currently have.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS