Windows 8.1 Could Allow Users To Boot Direct To Desktop

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2013 9:55 PM
If there's one thing that'll always get people riled up, it's change. Maybe it's a different season, a different color, or a different coach. If it's changing, you'll get opinions thrown your way that you never even asked for. That's certainly been the case with Windows 8, as Microsoft has changed quite a lot about its desktop OS, and in turn has received quite a lot of feedback.

Overall, a lot of that feedback has been neutral to negative, particularly as it pertains to the home screen. Windows 8 attempted to bridge a divide between phone, tablet and desktop, but in doing so, it introduced a helping of the very thing it sought to reject: compromise. One of the major issues with the boot-up look on Windows 8 is the lack of a Start button. Like it or not, that has become a staple of Microsoft's desktop UI, and expecting billions of people to just ignore the change overnight was probably a mistake.

We've heard rumors that Windows 8.1 (Blue) may bring all sorts of changes to Windows, not the least of which is a significant paid overhaul versus conventional (and free) service packs. Now, in looking at some of the code behind Blue, it appears that there may be an option introduced that brings the Start button back by letting users jump straight into Desktop mode instead of forcing them first into Metro. Going a step further, some are suggesting that the code would allow users to just disable the Metro screen altogether.

Have you been holding back from a Win8 upgrade due to this? Would you be willing to give it a shot if you could keep your existing Start screen?
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 10:15 PM

What does Windows 8 do that much better than Windows 7,if anything,that would make the investment in time and money worth it?

The Start Button is easily returned if necessary with the installation of the Classic Shell v3.6.6 software.

Maybe they made Windows 7 too good?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

win

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

How much will the upgrade cost?

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 125
MMaddox replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:36 PM

I haven't upgraded to Win 8 just because of the lack of going directly to the desktop, the performance bonuses are rather nice within 8, however the interface is annoying.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 3:06 AM

SmogHog:

What does Windows 8 do that much better than Windows 7,if anything,that would make the investment in time and money worth it?

The Start Button is easily returned if necessary with the installation of the Classic Shell v3.6.6 software.

Maybe they made Windows 7 too good?

Code wise its a good 10% faster and benchmarks support this from various places. Is it worth it to upgrade? Not really and Stardock makes the best start button IMO.

Oh yeah, Windows 7 was made to well but if Win8 had the start menu and option to boot to desktop and disable metro then it would have been a hit.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 3:52 AM

Where exactly on your own systems,not from a reviewers opinion,have you seen performance "bonuses"?

I don't know where these performance advantages are in Windows 8.

I've done many comparison benchmarks for my graphics cards,SSDs,file copying,Internet speed etc and find little difference between W7 x64 Ultimate and W8 Pro.

Oh,Windows 8 does install quicker.

The testing was on series 6 Intel chipset notebook and desktop with i7 quad CPUs,NVIDIA 570 graphics,240GB SATA III SSDs and 16GB of DDR3 1600.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 4:35 AM

I've held off on switching to Win8 for a few reasons.

First, Win7 is rock solid and does the job very well. Yes, I have heard that Win8 is faster than Win7, but my system is already 5 years old and somehow I doubt that switching to Win8 is going to be any kind of noticeable increase in speed.

Second, Win8 (and "metro") are designed for touchscreens. I do not use a touchscreen and have no use for that kind of interface. I do not want to have to install a 3rd party application to force it to go to a desktop mode. I think it was a mistake to make that the default for the OS.

My third and final reason for not wanting to switch... price. Yes, I know they had early adoption pricing of about $40 or so for a while. I wasn't interested in running into any headaches by adopting it early and having issues with a lack of drivers or support for various software packages I use. Once it had been out for a while they jacked the price WAY up. It's now $120 for standard Win8 and $200 for Win8 Pro. There is simply no way I'm paying that kind of money for an operating system that I'm going to have to modify right away just to enjoy using it.

So if Win8.1 (Blue) has a significant speed increase, allows me to boot directly to the desktop without modification, has excellent driver and software support, and doesn't cost me much... I'd consider it. As it currently stands, I consider Win8 to be a misfire. They really should have just released Win8 and Win8 "Touch" as two different flavors (one for desktops and one for mobile/touchscreen devices) right from the beginning.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:11 AM

Who didnt see something like this happening?

This is one of the big reasons why I havent made the switch, the start screen UI is nothing but a pain to use while having to navigate through the OS. The constant bouncing back and fourth between the start screen and desktop mode tell me that most of the desktop stuff was never really ready like it was on the mobile side(if even).

Its sad too, because the under workings of win 8 are great. It is very secure, not very heavy of and OS compared to previous versions, and pretty fast. I like the changes to the windows, task manager, and what they have done with the multiple file transfer windows. If this new update proves to have brought the majority of the much needed desktop fixes in place, win8 may have a purpose on the desktop after all.

I wont use classic shell, or anything like it, not because I dont like it or they dont work (they do). Mainly because it is not a fix, its a workaround. To me, if you produce something that is the foundation platform of your lifestyle, it shouldnt have to start off with a band-aid. I will be interested to see what it brings to all users, desktop and tablet alike.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50

Win8 faster than Win7? Other than in the areas of boot, logo to desktop, and coming out of hibernation (None of which are critically important to me) the benchmarked speed differences between the two OSs are negligible with Win7 having a slight edge in most.That conclusion is based on reading through the head-to-head testing at eight different tech sites.

As a semi-retired IT hand I have an extremely jaundiced view of any brand-new Windows OS. Windows 8 hasn't done anything to change that. It isn't the cost, I get anything Microsoft at no cost to myself. My objections are to the childish interface, currently non-optimized drivers, and the general; PITA of doing a clean install of a new OS.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 2:22 PM

Small fee... probably very similar to what Apple charges for OSX upgrades, it's pretty much the same business model...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:12 PM

SmogHog:

Where exactly on your own systems,not from a reviewers opinion,have you seen performance "bonuses"?

I don't know where these performance advantages are in Windows 8.

I've done many comparison benchmarks for my graphics cards,SSDs,file copying,Internet speed etc and find little difference between W7 x64 Ultimate and W8 Pro.

Oh,Windows 8 does install quicker.

The testing was on series 6 Intel chipset notebook and desktop with i7 quad CPUs,NVIDIA 570 graphics,240GB SATA III SSDs and 16GB of DDR3 1600.

I use it on my laptop and it is noticeably faster. I know aeroglass is gone so it has freed up more memory and a couple other features. This could be only because I have an older laptop. Mine just a gateway with a dual core, 4 gig of ram, and 4000 series AMD GPU. Regardless of weather it was from personal perspective and reviews it has shown improvements in speed over windows 7. My laptop runs a hell of alot better with windows 8 but since my system is pretty fast I wouldn't switch to it currently for my desktop.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 130
phenom2 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:32 AM

well...that could already be done on Windows 8...with 3rd party utilities...freeware too! Performance advantages? It's much faster when booting...I love it!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

as long as it doesn't cost more then $30 to upgrade i'm all for it

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:42 PM

ChrisLawler:

as long as it doesn't cost more then $30 to upgrade i'm all for it

That is how I feel also. I got windows 8 for $17 bucks and would buy 8.1 for a cheap upgrade cost.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS