Samsung Galaxy S4 Coming To AT&T First, 4GB RAM, Up to 2.5X Faster Than GS3

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,884
Points 1,173,260
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 12 2013 6:40 PM
We can finally put an end date on the long wait for the Samsung Galaxy S4. According to a trusted source, the much-hyped handset will first land at AT&T on April 26th, and we’re told that it will boast up to 2.5 times the performance of its predecessor, the Galaxy S3, at least in certain benchmarks.  AnTuTu was noted as the metric this performance was observed in.

The Galaxy S4 will also sport 4GB of RAM and rock a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor. Non-U.S. devices will have just 2GB of RAM, and we’ve heard previously that they will have either the aforementioned Snapdragon chip or a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa inside.

Samsung Galaxy S4
This beauty to be available April 26th

AT&T will be the first to sell the phone in the U.S., which is a huge get for the carrier; these days, that’s almost as lucrative as when it had exclusive rights to Apple’s iPhone a few years ago.

In any case, the wait is nearly over; if you want to be one of the first to snag a Galaxy S4, be ready to queue up at your local AT&T location the night before the 26th. (Or, you know, preorder it on April 16th. But that wouldn't be nearly as fun.)

Check out additional coverage of the S4, including some hands-on video, here and here.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 7:58 PM

I might have bashed the "computers becoming obsolete" article earlier, and I still support my stance, but with hardware with specs like this coming out, mobile computing devices are going to start giving things a decent run for their money soon.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I'm taking the day off to be the first in line:)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 9:15 PM

OSunday; either of the CPU's found in the s4 doesn't come close to the performance in even netbooks so it's still a long while before a phone is as powerful as even today's low end laptops.

I just don't understand why Samsung is separating hardware for the US and abroad. The s3's CPU was dumbed down for the US and now the US gets double the ram but a dumbed down CPU? Awkward. I would want the Exynos CPU.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

I agree with you sevags. We are still a long way from smart phones being as powerful and giving pc's/laptop's a run for their money. It also pains me to see the US get lesser version of hardware. From what i have read, the reason the US didn't get the quad core version of the S3 was that the processor didn't support the US version of 4g LTE.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 3:27 AM

Im going to be ordering mine online, don't got time to go stand inline :), plus i got better things to do on my birthday xD

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 460
Points 7,010
AjayD replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 7:31 PM

Does anyone know if the T-Mobile variant will have 4 gigs of ram as well, or will that be exclusive to the AT&T model?

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:58 PM

AjayD:

Does anyone know if the T-Mobile variant will have 4 gigs of ram as well, or will that be exclusive to the AT&T model?

It has got to be close or the same. AT&T might be getting it first but that would be stupid for Samsung to give different carriers different specs. Not the mention the time to make different phones per company and then write the UIs for them. Anyone seen release dates for the other carriers?

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS