Google Glass Explorer Edition Headsets Shipping Next Month

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:19 PM
Google Glass has become quite the hot topic, even in the mainstream. In a way, this is the device that could usher in the mainstream wave of wearable computing, and a lot is riding on the quality and usability of the Exporer Edition. If you'll recall, Google gave I/O 2012 attendees the ability to sign up for a pre-order of the first edition of Glass. At $1500, these have yet to actually go on sale to those who signed up, but that day seems to be drawing near.

This week, Google confirmed that Explorer Edition Glass headsets will go on "next month," giving developers the ability to toy around with things and start producing applications for it. Of course, Google I/O 2013 is next month, so it's hard to say if the two will coincide in any meaningful way.

This will almost certainly be the first I/O event where Chrome and Android take a backseat to something else, with that "something else" obviously being Glass. While the company's software efforts are no doubt important, creating an entirely new catagory of electronics has far more far-reaching implications from a long-term strategy perspective.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:55 AM

I absolutely agree. Google is brilliant with marketing and market research. I mean advertising and consumer data is their business. they have the culture that can let them launch this product even if its first iteration is a flop, they will just make another gen and sell it until it catches fire.

I understand the incredible simplification of the device and its functionality but i would really be impressed if they could head in the direction samsung has with the S4 or Microsoft with Kinect 2

The S4 has eye tracking and touch less scrolling as well as other forward thinking innovation, and the Kinect 2 is at least rumored to be able to read lips and pick up on insignificant hand gestures, even emotional expressions on your face.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:11 AM

I feel like Google Glass is going to be relatively successful but not quite the breakthrough Google and others are hoping it will. Not only is it still a very expensive and in its infancy but I don't think people are quite ready for this kind of augmentation.

People who use Google Glass are going to make others uncomfortable for appearance reasons and because of the fact they don't know what it's doing and whether it's interacting with them without their knowledge.

Google Glass is still a good ice breaker and step in the right direction for integrating technology into our daily lives though, but for now I think Chrome and Android are going to take precedence with Google over glass

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 250

I wish I laid out the money for one. I will definitely be grabbing the next iteration of this. I think its a great tool, and I do think it's likely it may replace cell phones in the coming years. But I'm a tech hopeful

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:24 PM

I hope it doesn't replace cell phones. Granted im sure we are years away from the point of trying to make a profit off of it to get it low enough cost that people will buy these.

I would definitely have to go "off the grid" since I cant stand anything to be on my face. I love the innovation and for some people I bet this will be the best thing since sliced bread but its definitely not for me.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS