Samsung Rumored To Be Designing 5.8-inch and 6.3-inch Galaxy Mega Phablets

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,495
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:14 PM
This phablet thing might be getting a little out of hand. According to SamMobile, Samsung is working on two giant handsets--one a 5.8-inch devices and the other a 6.3-inch monster. They’ve dug up specs on the two devices, which will reportedly go by the name “Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8” and “Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3”.

The Galaxy Mega 5.8 (GT-I9152) will sport a qHD TFT (960x540) display with a dual-core 1.4GHz processor, 1.5GB of RAM, and 8MP rear and 2MP front cameras. It’ll run Android Jelly Bean (with Samsung’s Nature UX) and pack WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, and A-GPS with a 2600 mAh battery.

Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy Note II--smaller than the smallest Mega

The bigger 6.3-inch model (GT-I9200) will have the same cameras, amount of RAM, connectivity and sensors, interface, and operating system; the processor will be a dual-core clocked at 1.7GHz and have a 3200mAh battery. It appears as though there will be two Mega 6.3s, one with LTE and one without. The phones will come in black or white.

Feelings are mixed about phablets--whether they can last as a sub-genre of mobile devices and if they make any sense as a mainstream device--but Samsung is apparently not ambivalent about it at all.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

I wonder if these devices will be as popular as the Note 2 (and i love my Note 2).  They don't have quad core processors and they have less ram.  I can see these being targeted towards folks who want a big screen for video playback, social media, and games. It will be interesting to see how much Samsung is going to charge for these devices.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:17 PM

My friend who has the original Galaxy Note loves his but I doubt he would go bigger. The 5.5" screen I believe he says is perfect for him so maybe a 6.3" is getting slightly to big when you have 7" tablets right around the corner. I do like the fact Samsung is just going out their and making whatever they want to reach everyone in the Market and the Galaxy S line of phones have very few competitors when its some to quality, ect.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,065
sevags replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:42 PM

These products are good... And there is definitely a market for them along with some decent demand... But Samsung really needs to get their head in the game and start designing more high end 4"~ phones instead of cranking out just phablets. In my eyes Samsung doesnt make a single smartphone in the high end anymore just phablets and tablets.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:39 PM

"might be getting out of hand"

At 6.3 inches, that's definitely getting out of hand considering 5.8 inches is already reallyyyy pushing it haha.

This is at a size point to where Shaq could claim Samsung designed a phone specifically for his hands because these things are definitely two-handers for the rest of the population

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 345

While I'm personally not a fan of these supersized phones, I have had many conversations with co-workers and other people who are. Based on some of the sales figures I've read about the Note & Note II I'm not surprised that Samsung would step up the screen size yet again. Seem's that there are many people out there that love the larger screen.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 6:58 PM

Diggity0:

While I'm personally not a fan of these supersized phones, I have had many conversations with co-workers and other people who are. Based on some of the sales figures I've read about the Note & Note II I'm not surprised that Samsung would step up the screen size yet again. Seem's that there are many people out there that love the larger screen.

I have always kinda wonders if maybe people wanted the bigger phones so they actually have a tablet in their hands without the bulky bezel that comes with alot of tablets and the functionality of having a true cell phone in their hands. My buddy just wanted a bigger phone since he was using the iPhone 4 beforehand I believe. I do not know alot of people with the note series of phones but I bet that is something they think about and why samsung went with the 6.3" maybe.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS