One Year From Today, Microsoft to Finally Cut All Support For Windows XP

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,401
Points 1,192,665
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 8 2013 9:16 AM
Windows XP is a dead operating system (OS) walking. In exactly one year from today, Microsoft will cease supporting the legacy OS, which translates into no more security updates. Naturally the suits in Redmond would love it if every XP user -- legitimate or otherwise -- would make the switch to Windows 8, and if they did, the migration would effectively make the latest build nearly as popular as Windows 7.

Even after all this time, Windows XP still maintains a 38.73 percent share of the desktop market, versus 3.17 percent for Windows 8, according to data by NetMarketShare. The two combined fall just a few percentage points behind Windows 7, which is found on 44.73 percent of all desktops.

Windows XP

If you prefer StatCounter's data, the numbers are a little different, but it's a similar story with Windows 7 claiming a 52.61 percent share, Windows XP in second place at 23.38 percent, and Windows 8 at 3.9 percent. Either way, it's pretty remarkable that an 11-year-old OS is still relatively popular.

Even though support will end next year, Windows XP could still maintain a significant userbase, especially in the enterprise environment.

"We asked 'What are you deploying now on new PCs?' and enterprises are saying that 76 percent are deploying Windows 7. But 16 percent are still going with XP," David Johnson, an analyst with Forrester, told ZDNet in an interview. "When we ask them what they'll be deploying 12 months from now, their answer is Windows 7, with 60 percent, Windows 8, at 26 percent, and Windows XP, 3 percent. But enterprises are notoriously optimistic about future deployments, so I'd say that by the time it reaches retirement, XP will still be on 15 percent to 20 percent of PCs."

What OS are you running these days?
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I'm happy to say I'm apart of that 3% that's running Windows 8.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 626
Points 5,600
ForumsAdministrator

I sure won't miss this OS. It was epic when it was the current hotness, but Microsoft really knocked the ball out of the park with Windows 7, enough to make me forget all about how much I loved XP.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Points 1,005
KOwen replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:20 PM

I'm still on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade to 8. I think I'll wait for the Blue update. I feel like I am the only person who didn't notice much of a change, in basic user experience, between Vista and 7 despite people hating Vista and praising 7.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:53 PM

I would never go back to XP Pro now that I have Windows 7 but XP was a great OS. It was fast, stable, and just worked like a horse. 

KOwen I agree with you in the user experience. I know alot of people complained about the notifications and stuff but you could turn them off. I never did use Vista much so im not a great judge of it since I used XP Pro right up until a week after Windows 7 came out then upgraded. Fixing friends computers and stuff though I got a good dose of it.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
JimAret replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:58 PM

Perfect time to switch on Linux indeed...

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 120

Hah, I run all 3. 7 on laptop, xp in vm on my 8 PC.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator

XP was great in it's day, but I cannot say the same thing about Win-8. I just don't like it after trying it out several times. I gave it a chance too.

So I'll continue to use my Win-7 and wait for whatever comes next. I don't hold out much hope that it will be any good though. Microsoft quit listening to it's customer base with Win-8 and that will not change. Win-7 is good enough to keep through a few more regurgitation's from Microsoft, so I'm not worried about it.

Linux is much more viable than it used to be and works great for me on some older boxes. Steam's Linux efforts are good too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 225
RBloch replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:15 PM

about time, anyone running XP is behind in the times, especially if it's a gaming PC.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:20 AM

Lots of small businesses still use XP for point of sale and inventory reasons. I guess that ~if it works, don't fix it~ is what they're thinking.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:20 PM

realneil:

Lots of small businesses still use XP for point of sale and inventory reasons. I guess that ~if it works, don't fix it~ is what they're thinking.

Buddy of mine that does desktop support for dealerships is just finally upgrading all his dealerships to Win 7. He told me this was gonna happen last year but they could not find a fix for half the programs they use for parts inventory, technician diagnostic programs, and a couple other ones. So its not just the small business but mid-tier to upper-tier as well depending.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:32 PM

R.I.P. Windows XP, you were an excellent OS and still trump Vista without a doubt and W8 in my opinion as well.

haha 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:12 PM

OSunday:

R.I.P. Windows XP, you were an excellent OS and still trump Vista without a doubt and W8 in my opinion as well.

haha 

I can't say windows 8 yet. Windows 8 did things for my old dell laptop that regardless of the user experience with metro I cant be to mad at it.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS