New Toy

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:29 AM

Had to show off my new toy: Sager NP9150 (Clevo P150EM).  

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 1:55 PM

Nice, looks like a buddy of mine CTL laptop but yours has the multicolored keyboard lighting! I searched it and looked at the specs and they are pretty impressive also.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9150

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

That's a great looking little Lappy.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:22 PM

Clixxer:

Nice, looks like a buddy of mine CTL laptop but yours has the multicolored keyboard lighting! I searched it and looked at the specs and they are pretty impressive also.

Impressive until you look at the last line:

Sager recommends Windows® 7 Ultimate Sager recommends Windows 7 Ultimate

Clearly they don't know who they're talking to. :D

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:33 PM

Very sharp looking laptop, and very crisp OS system on there too. !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:23 AM

eunoia:

I bought it without an operating system.  :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:21 PM

eunoia:

Clixxer:

Sager recommends Windows® 7 Ultimate Sager recommends Windows 7 Ultimate

Clearly they don't know who they're talking to. :D

Yeah I did see that. If you can dual boot then it would be ok for a cheaper option with pretty good specs. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:08 PM

I've never heard of Sager before but this looks like a heck of a little machine you've got there.

Any feedback on quality of the build and how using it has been? 

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
Mattos replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:28 PM

Awesome lookin' laptop. As far as I know Sager is a great choice for gaming laptops.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:21 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i want to try it out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 7:36 PM

Mattos:

Awesome lookin' laptop. As far as I know Sager is a great choice for gaming laptops.

Definitely.  While the Nvidia 675MX kicks ass, I was amazed by how well the Intel HD4000 graphics perform too.

For maximum battery life, the way I have it set up is that the desktop and Steam are running on the HD4000, and only when I kick off specific games do I use primusrun to shift that specific window through the 675MX.  Out of my several dozen Steam games, I only ended up sending about 3 of them to the 675MX (and they were tolerable on the HD4000).  It almost makes me wish I'd just gone for an ultrabook for minimum weight - but I have no regrets with what I got.  In my not completely scientific tests, the nVidia chipset seems to put out 2-3x the framerate as the HD4000.

Nvidia just released the beginnings of Optimus support in the 319 driver this past week, so (if that progresses to full support) at some point I'll dump Bumblebee and not manually configure what the apps are going to use.

I didn't upgrade the wifi driver from the default (stupid, stupid, stupid...), because I was expecting it to be a cheap broadcom that would work with anything.  Unfortunately, it was a RealTek 8723AE, which doesn't have a proper working driver in the kernel (as of the 3.8 kernels currently used by Ubuntu 13.04).  LUCKILY, someone had already written a driver which I compiled from their github and made work.  Later, I tried the 3.9 mainline kernels, which seem to work even without the driver.

The keyboard lights weren't supported either, but someone's written a clevo_wmi.ko driver that you can use to control them.  And, another guy wrote a gui that you can use to control them even easier.  There are three zones (left, middle, right) that you can independently set to one of a half dozen colors.  You can also run effects, such as fading brightness/colors across the keyboard, though I'm not sure if that's a standard feature or just something the guy who wrote the linux driver added.

The only piece of hardware on the thing that I still haven't quite puzzled out is the RealTek multi-card reader.  The same reader seems to work for other users on Ubuntu on other laptops, but does not work for me.  I've seen someone else with the same problem, which makes me think that RealTek released two revisions of the chipset that are slightly different.  I've reported it in the proper places and will keep working towards a resolution - though I don't really use that feature myself.  It wouldn't be any fun if there were no more problems to solve.  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:06 PM

Sounds to me like you're having fun with it Jay. It really is bad-ass,.......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:54 PM

Dude good job on the problem solving. I would have been banging my head about drivers. I've gotten so used I guess to Windows finding my drivers it would drive me nuts. Kudos to you though got working out everything so far but the card reader which I'm sure with time someone will get the proper driver going if they did indeed have two revisions.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS