Apple Products To Outsell Windows Products in 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,809
Points 1,213,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 8:09 PM
Guess what? Mobile is overtaking desktop, and it's happening at a breakneck rate. In fact, some analysts are wondering if the generation born today will ever know a "computer" to be anything other than something held in one's palm, which probably sends chills down the spines of those who are still cranking out desktop towers. Gartner's latest research report predicts that the "traditional PC market" will shrink 7.6% in the coming year, citing a change in behavior as consumers flock to tablets, phones, and other ultra-portable devices.

Worldwide devices (the combined shipments of PCs, tablets and mobile phones) are on pace to total 2.4 billion units in 2013, a 9 percent increase from 2012, according to Gartner; device shipments are forecast to continue to grow, reaching more than 2.9 billion units in 2017, but the mix of these devices will significantly change over the forecast period. "While there will be some individuals who retain both a personal PC and a tablet, especially those who use either or both for work and play, most will be satisfied with the experience they get from a tablet as their main computing device," said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner. "As consumers shift their time away from their PC to tablets and smartphones, they will no longer see their PC as a device that they need to replace on a regular basis."

As a result, the traditional PC market of notebooks and desk-based units is expected to decline 7.6 percent in 2013, reflecting a "long-term change in user behavior."

Beyond that, it's looking as if this trend stands to benefit Apple far more than anyone else. In fact, Apple products on the whole are set to outpace Windows products in 2013, because such a huge portion of Apple's overall sales are in the mobile segment (iPad and iPhone). Worldwide tablet shipments are forecast to total 197 million units in 2013, a 69.8 percent increase from 2012 shipments of 116 million units. "Lower prices, form factor variety, cloud update and consumers' addiction to apps will be the key drivers in the tablet market," said Ranjit Atwal, research director at Gartner. "Growth in the tablet segment will not be limited to mature markets alone. Users in emerging markets who are looking for a companion to their mobile phone will increasingly choose a tablet as their first computing device and not a PC."
  • | Post Points: 275
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
JAquino replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:35 AM

I hope Im dead by then.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

that is such a shame apple is way too expensive and for not much unless you actually do something with music or art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:04 AM

i personally dont care what analyst think since they are getting paid to guess cause i expect pc sales to decline by 7.2 percent this year. Your move so called real analysts. Seriously though while sales might drop they wont disappear until all hardcore gamers die or all the people who need a "real" program like i dont know auto cad or something of that nature that just cannnot be emulated on a tablet.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

idiots...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 810

Well. I remember back in 1995 in Vo-Tech computer technology class, was told once technology gets so far ahead it will start to go backwards..guess this is what they meant.. Was always thinking CPUs would start to run slower due to doing too many computations at one time at too fast of a speed (that's how they made it sound)..

It all makes sense now..hipsters with iPhones made computers dumb...lol

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 355

Wait... if iPhones are included in this calculation, how has this already not happened?

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

ignore, the figures include the mobile phones and tablets, so it is completly irrelevant

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

ignore, the figures include the mobile phones and tablets, so it is completly irrelevant

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:49 PM

The prediction that computers are becoming obsolete because of tablets and smart phone as the next iteration of "computers" has been a prediction that's been being made for quite a while, but hasn't held true in the past and probably wont for a while

Even with growing portable power with things like the Surface Pro, and the Razer Edge which are essentially more computer in tablet form than anything else on the market, they're still incredibly high priced and don't perform as well overall when you consider battery life and ease of use when compared to laptops.

When it comes to Apples products like iPods, Ipads and even Androids tablets they don't have the ability to do everything a computer does, and when they do it's not as efficient and there's a learning curve and limitations on how you can do it.

Although Windows has WP7, it really doesn't have that much of a foothold in the mobile market compared to Apple. Windows also still outsells Apple in terms of literal computers in the professional and consumer market, but saying Apple is outselling windows products by including mobile devices as full fledged "computers" is just a bit silly

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,130
KOwen replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:24 PM

I just don't understand the mentality of mobile users. It's good for quick updates but in terms of being really productive nothing compares to the ease of use of a full keyboard and the power and multitasking ability of a desktop PC and full OS. I check my email, send texts, occasionally search the web for something, and use an app or two. Everything else can wait until I am at home with my beautiful 27" 2560x1440 IPS screen.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:09 PM

Well I can see where it is going. I know alot of people who use their smartphones and tablets just for computer stuff but they do not own a desktop PC at their house but may have one at work also. Buddy of mine does desktop support for car dealerships and they have tried to switch to ipads but after about 6 months everyone has been going back to PCs due to the functionality of them you cannot get with mobile devices.

I like where the mobile market is going with the Razer and Surface Pro since I would like to own one but even if they sell more their will always be a huge market for desktop PCs even if it become mainly corporate.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

This Crap about a generation not using traditional pc's is really getting old. Yes mobile devices are convenient, but that's it, a convenience. Real work, pro or armature, is done best on a pc, Apple or Windows. I'm never giving up my pc. Just for pure gaming, mobile device cant touch a pc or even a decent console.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 2,050

Yeah... I could see mobile devices outselling actual PCs in the general market. Mobile devices are cool, but I won't be leaning that way myself for quite a while. At least not until mobile devices are every bit as powerful and useful as a desktop. Of course, I'm more of a power-user/developer who actually puts use to a powerful system.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

I can't see comparing iPods & iPhones to desktop PCs. They are too dissimilar and not in the same market. If I had to resort to using my iPad all of the time and never having a full sized Gaming PC again, I would drive off of a cliff. (well maybe not, but it would suck)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 12:40 AM

a phone can run autocad, as proof of this i have a laptop with a 2 ghz duo core processor and it runs Cad reasonably well. my current phone has a 1.5 ghz quadcore proccesor which is really close to my comp.

the new galaxy s4 has a 1.9ghz 4 core proccesor, with 2 gb of ram. if a windows phone comes out this year with a proccesor above 1.8 ghz with 4 cores it will be able to run autocad reasonably well.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 12:57 AM

There are 3 main areas that are changing as a preference from PC to Mobile, that stop people from buying a Computer and instead buying a SmartPhone. First, and most obvious, Email is incredibly easy on smartphones and anyone who used computers for surfing the web now use their phones.

Second reason

School use, basic assignments like essays and reports are generally done on computers, however every computer purchased in the last 5 years most likely retains the capability to edit a word document. School therefore is no longer a driving reason to get a new computer

Third Reason

Gaming has changed significantly, the popularity of console and computer based games has as an industry declined in the last five years. i am not talking about close to collapse i am saying 2-5 percent loss ever 2 years. as this happens more and more funding and programmers have started moving to the mobile platform as a better way to make money. As children grow older the number of console and pc users will go down until all of the hobby gamers play apps instead.

These reasons along with continued improvements in the mobile market place will continue to drive PC sales down until they level out. People will continue putting off buying a new computer when they can just buy the newest phone and have all of their friend ooh and ahh.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 4:54 AM

AKnudson:

There are 3 main areas that are changing as a preference from PC to Mobile, that stop people from buying a Computer and instead buying a SmartPhone. First, and most obvious, Email is incredibly easy on smartphones and anyone who used computers for surfing the web now use their phones.

Not everyone has a smartphone. Ive seen numbers depending on where you get the facts that say only about 45-60% of the population use smartphones and while that is a huge number that is still not even 2/3 or 3/4 of the population so that is alot of people that probably have a dell or something sitting in their homes for email, surfing, ect.

Second reason

School use, basic assignments like essays and reports are generally done on computers, however every computer purchased in the last 5 years most likely retains the capability to edit a word document. School therefore is no longer a driving reason to get a new computer

I would have to agree with you halfway. Id say laptop sales are driven more than anything for school, so maybe not desktop PCs but try writing out a 10 page mid term on a samsung tab or something similar.

Third Reason

Gaming has changed significantly, the popularity of console and computer based games has as an industry declined in the last five years. i am not talking about close to collapse i am saying 2-5 percent loss ever 2 years. as this happens more and more funding and programmers have started moving to the mobile platform as a better way to make money. As children grow older the number of console and pc users will go down until all of the hobby gamers play apps instead.

These reasons along with continued improvements in the mobile market place will continue to drive PC sales down until they level out. People will continue putting off buying a new computer when they can just buy the newest phone and have all of their friend ooh and ahh.

Now my question to that is why would I want to play an app on a tablet that is maybe 10" big over using a mouse and keyboard or controller on a desktop with a 22-30" screen or for a console a 40-60" screen? I dont know anyone that has played a game in their life that likes playing something on their phone or tablet over their console or desktop except for angry birds.

I agree they will put off buying a new computer but most people in america dont build their own anyways. Most people go to Cosco, Best Buy, Walmart, ect to buy something that just plug in and go so is it really putting it off or just waiting till they find the deal that gives them the most bang for the buck? That and just because all these mobile companies are trying to get people to switch over to mobile devices does not mean they work. Ask any AT&T field tech what its like trying to do work orders on an Ipad and you better like cursing and have a good hour to listen.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 6:58 PM

I couldn't have said it better Clixxer, I don't game on a tablet or my phone but play a few games on the PC and sometimes play on a console at friends places. The last time I had to write a lab report on my tablet I bought a laptop the next day. With the demise of netbooks I would say products like the Surface Pro or powerful ultrabooks may be the route that traditional PC's may take.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 5,125

You will never take away my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phones and tablets are tools, computers are work horses.... and gaming machines :) Real gaming machines.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:19 PM

karanm:

I couldn't have said it better Clixxer, I don't game on a tablet or my phone but play a few games on the PC and sometimes play on a console at friends places. The last time I had to write a lab report on my tablet I bought a laptop the next day. With the demise of netbooks I would say products like the Surface Pro or powerful ultrabooks may be the route that traditional PC's may take.

I could see the Surface Pro catching on big. It runs metro with a touchscreen or a full version of windows. With the many cloud storage options this is viable to see to replace a laptop but not a desktop PC. Their are just to many programs that I could not imagine doing without a mouse and keyboard and photoshop is one of the big ones that come to mind. Is it possible to do it on a tablet? Sure but why would you? Also the surface pro has the keyboard built into the cover which while it may not be the best from what I read it works very well for that and I gotta give Microsoft and whoever builds them kudos.

I would not give up my desktop for nothing, I had it to long and I'm stubborn.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:33 PM

Clixxer:

Yea I love my desktop too, especially since like most of the people on this site I built it myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Never gonna happen year 2013 things are gonna fire up.I bet money on it, $2.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:46 PM

karanm:

Clixxer:

Yea I love my desktop too, especially since like most of the people on this site I built it myself.

Yep, I cannot think of anything better to spend extra money on and countless hours doing to poke and prodding my computer with tweaks and new hardware. Mine may not be up to date as far as chip and motherboard but it still purrs.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
kn9sli replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:47 AM

In the dead of night I see Apple's walled garden, on top of the wall is razorwire and broken glass. I hear the people inside screaming to be let out.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:11 AM

"Why would i want to play an app on my tablet"

This is exactly my point, everyone on this site is most likely gamers or at least PC fans. I only have one app i ever play on my phone. However the generation about to enter preschool and Kindergarten more likely than not have used a Tablet or Smartphone. Its most kids first interaction with gaming or even computing.

Its an abomination to us to think of playing a serious game on a tablet or smartphone but to kids it makes perfect sense. I also think they haven't had significant exposure to great games on PC's. Gaming to them is apps. With the surface pro, you see the first generation of true tablets with comparable functionality to laptops. I doubt laptops and tablets will continue to exist independent of each other for very long. The only thing that might reverse this trend in my opinion is the rising popularity of games like League of Legends, that are totally free, relatively light weight and easy to start playing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:53 PM

AKnudson:

"Why would i want to play an app on my tablet"

This is exactly my point, everyone on this site is most likely gamers or at least PC fans. I only have one app i ever play on my phone. However the generation about to enter preschool and Kindergarten more likely than not have used a Tablet or Smartphone. Its most kids first interaction with gaming or even computing.

Its an abomination to us to think of playing a serious game on a tablet or smartphone but to kids it makes perfect sense. I also think they haven't had significant exposure to great games on PC's. Gaming to them is apps. With the surface pro, you see the first generation of true tablets with comparable functionality to laptops. I doubt laptops and tablets will continue to exist independent of each other for very long. The only thing that might reverse this trend in my opinion is the rising popularity of games like League of Legends, that are totally free, relatively light weight and easy to start playing.

Hmm good point about tablets and laptops coexisting. I guess one of them will have to win sometime if tablets like the Razer Edge or Surface Pro keep coming out and getting cheaper. Honestly a good MMO would probably help desktop and laptop sells. I personally do not think there is anything out there worth paying for currently but do know a few are on the horizon and I could see people gravitating back to desktops and laptops with better games. I look at it and see while there has been good titles coming out every year for the past 5 years they have all been linear 1 person games or maybe coop but not true MMO. 

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS