Strange Noise Interference from Onboard Sound Whenever GPU ramps up...

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:19 PM

First off here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3770 @ 3.4Ghz (Stock)

Mobo: MSI Z77A-G45

Ram: Mushkin 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3@2400 (Stock)

GPU: MSI Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition @ 1050mhz (GPU/Ram Stock)

PSU: Corsair HX850

HDD: WD Black 1Tb Sata6

DVD: Asus Sata DVD-RW

I recently Built a completely new system (besides the acrylic case), and have run into a strange problem, trying to save money I just stuck with the onboard sound but for some reason if the sounds low enough (games not making sound effects) I can hear what could only be described as a digital 2 stroke engine like an atv revving up and down as the gpu demand increases/decreases. And I know it's the sound chip because I plugged an old USB Turtle Beach Sound Card I had and the interference is gone, I've also tried 2 sets of speakers and even headsets and it still remains.

I've also already rma'd the motherboard (called MSI and they think its the mobo) and the new one was same, if not worse. My next step is to try taking my wife's Geforce 9800GTX+OC Out of her desktop and try to see if the 7870 is the problem. But I know the main reason I'm having trouble in the first place is the onboard sound chip is directly under the pcb of the video card and the dvi is closest to it, I think I might also try doing HDMI instead of the DVI since it's half way across the card and might not possibly have as much signal interference next to the sound chip.....

Desktop Specs:

Custom Acrylic Case: I Love Green :)

Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

MSI 7870-OC Ghz Edition 2GB

Corsair HX850 - 850 watt PSU

WD Black 1TB SATA6

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

If you had a recording of the sound that would be very helpful. If you really think it's em interference you can test it by using a small pickup coil and recorder that is separate from your computer. the coils are not at all expensive. just like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telephone-Recording-Pickup-Coil-Suction-Cup-Microphone-/110698248294

it can also be found at radioshack. This is much less expensive than an actual em meter and will do exactly what needs to be done to locate interference source. Take recording at different spots of the video card pcb ,since that is where you suspect the interference is coming from. If you do record pulses, and they get stronger or weaker as you move the pickup, you know for certain that is where it is coming from. And you can put a few sheets of foil between nonconductive static free foam and play with positioning over your sound card to see if that lessens the effect a little. If you find it does, you can move to a more permanent solution. There is EMI shielding material in many forms. Some of the best stuff available that is used is called mu metal. Really nifty stuff typically found in hard drives. it can be expensive but again, ebay.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 10:57 PM

Yes this sounds like interference from your GPU to me as well.

Try running that HDMI with the sound it provides from the GPU to see if that changes anything.  And you should definitely try and get your wifes GPU in there to see.  I have heard alot of stories of coil whine and interference in sound from the 7870...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:00 AM

Yeah I've tried swapping for the same Motherboard, I'm Now on 3rd Motherboard and It's now an MSI Z77A-GD65 which has the THX Certified sound and it's still there, and now I've also Replaced the 7870 With no Luck, Next step is grounding the motherboard directly to the psu, to see if that's the problem, being an acrylic case the motherboard risers are mounted into an acrylic panel meaning theres no ground from motherboard to case like in a normal computer. This is my next step and I'll let you know if it helps at all. Here's hoping, I also bought a super cheap pci-e Sound card from a shop nearby, it's a Syba SD-PEX63034 7.1 sound card (Normally 22 on newegg, paid 13 at a store down the road from me) Just to try and see if that works, but if it's making the sound in the first place obviously something's not right.

Wish Me luck :/

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

SWDescent:

Yeah I've tried swapping for the same Motherboard, I'm Now on 3rd Motherboard and It's now an MSI Z77A-GD65 which has the THX Certified sound and it's still there, and now I've also Replaced the 7870 With no Luck, Next step is grounding the motherboard directly to the psu, to see if that's the problem, being an acrylic case the motherboard risers are mounted into an acrylic panel meaning theres no ground from motherboard to case like in a normal computer. This is my next step and I'll let you know if it helps at all. Here's hoping, I also bought a super cheap pci-e Sound card from a shop nearby, it's a Syba SD-PEX63034 7.1 sound card (Normally 22 on newegg, paid 13 at a store down the road from me) Just to try and see if that works, but if it's making the sound in the first place obviously something's not right.

Wish Me luck :/

Any luck with this so far?  I'm hoping you've found a solution and just haven't posted yet XD

Good luck dude!

PC Specs:

• 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195

Unfortunately no, I've now tried the 3 Different Motherboards, about to try 3rd video card (which I don't think will matter because they don't cause any noise on my wife's desktop), Grounded the motherboard screws directly into the psu, and even swapped psus/power cables and still no luck..... Also tried the cheap onboard sound and that gets rid of it mostly... but on full volume on the Klipsch speakers I can still hear it when my ear gets next to it, Planning on trying an Asus Xonar DGX 5.1sound card and see if that further removes the interference. It just boggles my mind as to what could be causing this.

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Yeah this is really screwing with me too... I can't think of anything else this could be 0_0

It has to be something with your speakers, whatever you're listening through... I simply cannot find any other reason for this to be happening

PC Specs:

• 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Sat, May 4 2013 11:00 PM

Yeah I had something new happen today with it. Turned the computer on and was downloading a game and all of a sudden the noise started happening without anything 3d or intense running. And I looked down to see the Phase Load Lights ramping up and down, and whenever they weren't changing state (all off or all on) the noise wasn't there, but when it was ramping up from 1.2ghz to 3.9ghz it Made the noise, then I proceeded to take the side of my case panel off and then there it was, the same type of noise finally (before it never actually made the sound from the case). And as far as I can track it down (cpu fan is a little loud when it's next to your ear) I can hear it coming from the cpu, so my friends and I think it's something to do with the state change on the cpu and it's not working right which would be why switching motherboards and video cards had no effect on getting rid of the noise. Unfortunately Newegg isn't as nice with cpu replacement as gpu replacement and I have to send the cpu in on monday and wait for a new on in the mail. I also tested the memory to make sure it wasn't the problem being so close to the cpu and It tested error free and stress testing the ram with prime95/memtest86 It made no noise. 

So it's going to take another week or so but hopefully the new cpu will fix it, which stinks because I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and so far it's been amazing even under full load at 3.9ghz it was only hitting 39C.... So hopefully the new chip solves the problem and runs as cool. But if it is the problem this would be the first defective cpu I've had that didn't cause actual errors software wise..... :/

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:22 PM

Have you went into the BIOS and disables the cstates to see if that fixes the problem? I would still get the RMA but worth a shot to just make sure that the problem is pinpointed.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195

Disabled both C-State and CPU Phase Control (Some msi option to not use the mosfets unless it's necessary) And it's still making the noise off and on, but I've replaced everything but the cpu/ram and the ram under stress does nothing. Sending it out tomorrow morning, hopefully I get replacement by Fri-Mon. If it's still causing trouble I'll break down and get some more ram to try but I don't know what else it would be, everything else has been replaced.

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, May 5 2013 4:07 PM

Wow man that is just odd. Guess you just lost the CPU lottery and hope your new one fixes it.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Yeah dude, I hope this really gets fixed.  I've never once heard of this kind of thing happening with a CPU.  I didn't think it could do that...Good luck with this man, and I hope that with all this trouble you've been having you can manage to get a better CPU.  It would be nice to get one a little higher binned than this one.  Maybe you could squeeze some more performance out of it.

Good luck!

PC Specs:

• 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Make sure that you have a good ground at the wall plug. (speakers and PC too)

This fixed the same problem for me once. (about a year ago)

Used to be the solution for stereos with buzzing back in the day too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Sun, May 5 2013 11:22 PM

Found out why it's still making the noise, even though C-Step and Phase Control are turned off in the bios I'm still seeing the cpu underlock/undervolt in windows when idle......

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195

CPU is officially shipped back to newegg, just waiting for the new one to come in, hoping this solves the problem, there isn't anything else that could be replaced. And I've build my own grounding harness for the case/motherboard and still that hasn't helped, outlet is grounding fine when I test it. But who knows really what else could be involved. It's just disappointing when the last 5 systems that were in this case had no problems and my Core2 is actually still going strong from 2008 and my wife uses that as her gaming desktop no problems at all. :/

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,093
Points 38,115
acarzt replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 2:05 PM

Was your issue resolved?

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 4:13 PM

Nope, the cpu isn't making noise itself anymore but all the sound output is still making the noise whenever I start something up, just using usb sound for now, but now the sad part is my new cpu won't let my ram run at the full 2400mhz it was at before, highest I can get it to post at is 2200mhz, which is still good, but sad that the memory controller on this new cpu can't handle as much... oh well :/

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:14 PM

Ok now I'm even more baffled, I got an Asus DGX Xonar 5.1 PCIe-1x Sound card, installed it, less of a problem, but still there, then I shut all but the cpu/gpu fans off and got in as close as i could with the noisiest app (3DMarks, Lowend benchmark, get like 1200-1400fps) and I can hear a wine from the video card, but then when I put the video card in my wifes computer, nothing....I've even tried using her psu and it didn't help my system at all, so Is it possible I got 3 bad boards? I'm thinking of trying to movie the video card to the second PCIE16x slot, but if my understanding is correct and I'm only going to get 8x max instead of the full 16x speed my PCI-E 3.0 card is capable of? Wow I'm amazed this thing has been such a headache...

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:43 PM

It still sounds like a bad ground somewhere.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:59 PM

Actually redid the test on my wife's computer as well and now it's doing it on there, so it's coil wine in the gpu, but I've already rma'd it once from newegg within the 30 or 90 day thing and got a new replacement, this time i'd be rma'ing it to msi directly and then I'll get a junk 7870 refurb from them which is annoying considering I bought this new only months ago....

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
SWDescent replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:29 AM

Update: Tried my old MSI Geforce 9800GTX+OC in there and imagine that, no noise what so ever. so time to call the company for assistance.

Finally got ahold of the video card manufacturer, and first call the person was an @ss, then finally got ahold of someone useful and they are trying to have it approved to swap the card for a 660 because they said it's similar performance wise, but I looked into it more and for the games I play it seems slower than my 7870, so unless they give me a 660ti (which seems on par maybe a little slower) I want to see if they'd do something where I possible payed a little bit more for a 760 card (even though the 760 is cheaper than my 7870 was when I bought it right now....) So wish me luck, hopefully I'll have roughly the same performance and still enjoy some games with the wife.

Desktop Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 - Mobo

8Gb Mushkin DDR3 2400

WD Black 1TB SATA6

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS