Post-It Note Arcade, As Nostalgic As It Is Awesome

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:35 PM
It’s incredible what a fellow can do with a lot of free time, a virtually unlimited supply of Post-It notes, and a camera. YouTube user Michael Birken posted an amazing video of stop-motion 8-bit animation from Mrs. Pac Man and Donkey Kong.

He recreated scenes from actual gameplay footage, noting that “the recordings were printed out, one frame at a time, and transferred by hand to various walls around my office floor using thousands of Post-It Notes.”

It took Biken 11 months and a lot of weekends and holidays to create the video, as well as nearly 5,000 Post-Its. One of the techniques he employed to maintain a sense of stillness and consistency is that he used still photos for the background and then superimposed the stop-motion animation on top.

Stop motion arcade

The result is a happy reminder of arcade games that were. Hats off to Birken, his place of business, and all of the free time he has.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
RRitz replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:06 PM

Now that is impressive.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Must have been a lot of work to do it! Sure is amazing.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

This is really cool!! I've been over come with nostalgic recently, so much so I went and bought an old SNES just so I could play Mario again ahhhhhhh, I just went from 38 to 16 in one night!! Oh the 8-bit joy! :)))

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

Love this, I commented on the site about it. It's really cool to see this kind of love for the 8-bit characters is still alive. I miss single player gaming ie, one life each, winner stays on and if you lived for an hour your friends had to just sit there and wait their turn lol. Flip side, you got the controller in your hand and died within 30 second.  lol

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Wow that was amazing, and had to be very time consuming.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60

Wish i was an artist

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 115

That looks nice..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Dedication! lol i would never last 96 days doing this xD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator

Very cool to see,........

Dedication is an understatement too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:04 PM

Thats pretty cool. I know a few moms that would probably do that for their kids!

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

I love post-it notes, when the mario started swinging the hammer i almost lost my mind. This is the coolest thing i have seen all month. I would like to thank him and all 4800 of his post its.

your 11 months of work are well worth my 2 and a half minutes of enjoyment.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS