Apple Winning Smartphone Battle in U.S., Losing Platform War to Android

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,170,960
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:57 AM
When it comes to the U.S. market, Apple's iPhone line is the single most popular category of handsets. During the three-month period ending in February 2013, there were 133.7 million smartphone owners in the U.S., 38.9 percent of which were toting an iPhone, according to data provided by the comScore MobiLens service. That's up 3.9 percent versus the prior three-month period.

Samsung ranked as the second most popular OEM with a 21.3 percent share of the smartphone market, up 1 percent versus the prior period. HTC came in third with a 9.3 percent share, followed by Motorola with 8.4 percent and LG with 6.8 percent.

iPhone

Be that as it may, Apple is still losing the platform war to Android. Google's Android OS claimed a 51.7 percent share of the U.S. smartphone market during the same three-month period, with Apple trailing behind at 38.9 percent. However, Apple did gain some ground by increasing its share 3.9 percent, while Android fell 2 percent, essentially closing the gap by 5 percent in the last three months.

As for the other players, BlackBerry's share fell to 5.4 percent, down 1.9 percent compared to the previous period, while Microsoft inched up 0.2 percentage points to claim a 3.2 percent share of the market. Symbian stood still at 0.5 percent.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
RRitz replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:49 PM

Samsung has to be a close second to apple in the phone market. I do believe that Samsung has the superior product.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

I think this was always going to be the case. Apple make a far superior product when it comes to hardware but when it comes to their closed source software... not funny.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator

When they changed their docking plug they made a whole lot of viable, great working accessories unusable. I think that this was a slap in the face to their customers who already own a lot of the old style gear.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:06 PM

Not necessarily.. Apples phones have good hardware but not the best. More often than not the specs on high end android phones are much higher than iPhones. The reason iPhones are more competitive is the same reason consoles with lower end hardware can rival PC's. Optimization for specific hardware.

Meanwhile, android is more open and designed to work across a plethora of hardware as long as it meets the minimum requirements.

I don't think its safe to say iOS or Android phones are better than one another but they are better at certain things and in certain categories but the playing field is pretty level.

Android has the advantage in market share because it sells at price points all across the boards and on more carriers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
bagtakers replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:35 PM

Apple is the best product when it comes to touch screen technology! :) Samsung doesn't have the sensitivity that apple has.. proven and tested

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:02 AM

OSunday:

Not necessarily.. Apples phones have good hardware but not the best. More often than not the specs on high end android phones are much higher than iPhones. The reason iPhones are more competitive is the same reason consoles with lower end hardware can rival PC's. Optimization for specific hardware.

Meanwhile, android is more open and designed to work across a plethora of hardware as long as it meets the minimum requirements.

I don't think its safe to say iOS or Android phones are better than one another but they are better at certain things and in certain categories but the playing field is pretty level.

Android has the advantage in market share because it sells at price points all across the boards and on more carriers

Nowadays about the only good thing Apple has had going for it was they usually had top notch hardware while not the best always but they market very very well. Once Steve Jobs died so did a part of Apple since he had most the ideas and the rest of apple just implemented them. 

Now my thing about ideas at apple dying is based off of you have the best selling tablet yet lets make one smaller and crappier than everyone elses. One of my best friends bought his wife a tablet for Christmas and he ended up with the Nexus 7 due to the ipad mini lacked alot that the kindle fire and nexus had at half the price. In the end I'm pretty sure Android will take the US market share. Google advertises it but because they don't have one flagship carrier they endorse people are hesitant. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 915
KOwen replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:03 PM

@bagtakers - What are you talking about specifically? Do you mean user experience, touchscreen lag time, or responsiveness perhaps? I'd like to know where that has been proven and tested because if you are trying to argue that the iPhone has better specs than Samsung and Android platform at the moment then you are incorrect. With the release of Project Butter in Android 4.1, Samsung and Android easily win in the best touchscreen technology department in terms of response time. Not to mention higher PPI, resolution, and a larger screen on top of that. I'm very curious to see the specs on the next iPhone in response to the surge in popularity of Samsung and Android.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS