Intel Boosts Integrated HD Graphics Performance with New Drivers

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:17 PM
Intel announced new drivers for its integrated HD 2500/4000 graphics (for 3rd generation Intel Core processors), and it did so in a somewhat refreshingly brief press release. The updates to the graphics drivers are for Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

Intel says that versions 15.31.3.3071 (32-bit) and 15.31.3.64.3071 (64-bit) bring a new driver architecture as well as optimzations designed to boost game performance by as much as 10% in some popular titles including Starcraft II, Batman: Arkham City, and WoW: Mists of Pandaria. Intel HD 2500/4000 graphics now have reduced CPU overhead as well as support for OpenCL 1.2.

Batman
Up to a 10% performance boost with new drivers

The releases address several needed fixes, including artifacts in certain titles and corruptions or crashes in programs such as CLBenchmark and Cyberlink Power Director 10.

You can download the updates here or here, depending on what your system requires.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

Good for them. It was needed.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Points 860
KOwen replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:29 PM

When will integrated graphics start to rival discrete GPU's? Will they ever catch up or are they not meant to because integrated graphics are for a different type of user who doesn't require such intense graphical power? I have an Nvidia 660Ti so I feel like I'd be making a huge mistake switching to my i7-3770 integrated graphics, new driver or not. I don't know anyone who plays PC games that doesn't drop at least $100 on a new GPU every build.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:00 PM

This is good news, I saw an article the other day that AMD's next line of APU's outperformed a set of intel CPU's by 80% in the graphics category.

Of course this was a comparison of AMD's latest tech to Intel's current, when things might stack up a little differently when compared to the Haswell comes out

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

"This is good news, I saw an article the other day that AMD's next line of APU's outperformed a set of intel CPU's by 80% in the graphics category."

An updated Intel graphics is due to be released later this year and may give APUs a little competition. (but we all know how Intel prices high)

That said, I really like the APU that I own. It's a great little mid range PC that cost very little.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 8:29 PM

KOwen:

When will integrated graphics start to rival discrete GPU's? Will they ever catch up or are they not meant to because integrated graphics are for a different type of user who doesn't require such intense graphical power? I have an Nvidia 660Ti so I feel like I'd be making a huge mistake switching to my i7-3770 integrated graphics, new driver or not. I don't know anyone who plays PC games that doesn't drop at least $100 on a new GPU every build.

I doubt they ever do except for lower end cards. I would think of people that are planning on using APUs or Intels integrated graphics are casual gamers at best. That and integrated graphics can do what most people want which is to watch youtube, movies, ect. if they dont like to play games on their PCs.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:41 AM

Valve and Intel have been working closely together as the former ports their Source engine to Linux. At the Gstreamer conference last year, Valve said that since they have complete access to the source for the video drivers, they've been able to trace bottlenecks all the way into the driver and let Intel know so that they can fix them. I'm sure they've carried these fixes over to the Windows drivers.

I just got my Clevo set up so that I can use primusrun to run the games on the Nvidia 670MX GPU, but I was amazed by just how well the Intel HD4000 chipset handled them before I installed bumblebee.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS