Disney Effectively Kills Off LucasArts, Lays Off 150 Games Division Employees

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,379
Points 1,192,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:34 PM
When is the next Star Wars video game from LucasArts coming? It’s a trick question--the answer is “never”, because Disney, which bought LucasFilm for over $4 billion last fall, has decreed that LucasArts will no longer make video games. Instead, GameInformer reports that LucasArts will discontinue its own production and move to a licensing model, which would both minimize financial risk and allow Disney to see what other game developers can do with the properties.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,” said Disney in a statement. “As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

Lucas Disney
George Lucas selling to Disney

According to Deadline, about 150 LucasArts employees will be laid off, which is the saddest part of the whole thing. What’s doubly sad is that, from a business perspective, Disney is probably smart to dump LucasArts arts after several rough years.

Star Wars 1313
Star Wars 1313? Not going to happen

Still, we admit that we’re a little wistful today, remembering all the great times had in our youth playing some of those excellent Super Nintendo Star Wars titles, getting excited when that LucasArts logo popped up on the screen.

We wish the best of luck to the LucasArts team who will be looking for new jobs in the coming months, and we hope they all land on their feet.
  • | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Thank god - they made the weakest games.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

You clearly have no idea how great some of the games they made were. you must be young.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 170

X wing.. You will be missed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 9:45 PM

I'm siding with Jason.... I have never fallen in love with a single lucasarts game, sure some weren't bad but it wasn't like there were alternatives.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

It's sad, especially since 1313 looked so good. But there's a great article on Kotaku about how our nostalgia is "worthless", in the most positive sense. As much as we love the old games the studio made, they haven't made anything really good recently. Force Unleashed had some decent sales, but wasn't anything special. Our nostalgia is 'worthless' in that it does not earn the studio any money. So it was all a matter of time.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 9:29 AM

LucasArts has been dead to me since they canceled the Sam & Max and Full Throttle sequels.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

I've never been a huge fan either, however a friend of my worked at their office in Sacremento.  So i'm sort of bummed out for him, dude moved to California last year from Texas to join their design team and now is unemployed.  Sucks for all of them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Church replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:02 PM

I'm going to agree here.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50

BOO to Disney

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:15 PM

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2, The Knights of the Old Republic games, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed 1 and 2, and Lego Star Wars were all good games in recent history. All of which I enjoyed thouroughly!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 105

RIP LucasArts... your contributions to the gaming world will be remembered.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

Lucasarts could have been such a cash cow if they would have done it right. its a shame.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 115

You know it was going to happen once Disney got the righhts....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

The latest really good games that Lucas Arts has had a hand in are the Knights of The Old Republic titles. the first one won game of the year back in 2004 when the first SWKOTR won the game of the year. 2 was alright but it was a different producer, and didn't live up to the first one.

Thank heavens that new designers will be making SW games, they are far and beyond my favorite genre of video games.

a Toast, may i soon shock enemy sith to death with ironically evil force lightning.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

i played force unleashed 1 and 2, they were really boring with poor in game story line, the entire thing was a bland hack and slash with stupid force displays that made no sense.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:09 AM

Im not sure how I feel about this one. I did like some of the games that were put out and it sucks the people that made those games are out of a job on a whim but then again maybe going to a bigger studio or wherever they go will give them the boost and marketing they need. 

Only time will tell but hopefully its for the best.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
Mattos replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:04 PM

Would have liked to have seen how 1313 turned out but oh well. It isn't a huge deal to me. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS