Examining Intel's Solid State Drive 525 Series

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,630
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:26 AM

Examining Intel's Solid State Drive 525 SeriesIt has been quite a while since we last an mSATA solid state drive (SSD) under the microscope. It's actually only been about two years, and if you care to jump into our time machine, you can see what we had to say about Intel's 310 Series mSATA SSD in 80GB form. The idea then was the same as it is now -- to offer full-size SSD features and performance in a smaller form factor that can wiggle into increasingly thinner Ultrabooks and mini PCs like Intel's Next Unit of Computing (NUC). Intel's forging ahead with mSATA SSD production and just recently released its 525 Series (Lincoln Crest), essentially a smaller version of the company's high octane 2.5-inch 520 Series...

Examining Intel's Solid State Drive 525 Series

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:43 AM

These are certainly showing some impressive numbers give their size, both on a capacity and performance side. I like the shelf life intel is claiming too.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

If those numbers hold up I am impressed.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Guess this would be cool for very small form factor builds but other than that, i don't really see the point of picking mSATA over a regular SSD especially when it is a lot cheaper.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 105

My current SSD only measures to half of what this guy can put out, but I'm still too satisfied with mine to consider switching.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:24 AM

I hope for an SSD 120 gig near 120$ with 50.000 iops / 80.000 iops was made soon !

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:57 PM

SanderHuynh:

Guess this would be cool for very small form factor builds but other than that, i don't really see the point of picking mSATA over a regular SSD especially when it is a lot cheaper.

I would have to agree with you. Its nice that money and time were invested to make these or different things but I would still keep my regular SSD in my full tower case but hey who knows that could change in a couple years or something.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Paul, love the NUC + Cooler Master photo!

You mentioned that the pre-production NUC exhibited some instability. We've been monitoring this issue and find that even after the new bios update the Intel NUC, when paired with the Intel SSD and a wireless card, can overheat at a 50% duty cycle.

See full test results here: http://www.logicsupply.com/blog/2013/05/14/system-comparison-intel-ice-canyon-nuc-vs-lgx-ag960-nuc/

Full disclosure, Logic Supply is an embedded computer co that has been working on NUC enclosures. We've been working on thermal performance, noticed this review, and wanted to contribute.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS