Age of Empires II HD Comes to Steam Exclusively April 9th

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 9 2013 12:07 PM
All good things never truly go out of fashion, they just sometimes take a backseat to the popular trends of the day before making a triumphant comeback. So it goes with Age of Empires II, a classic real-time strategy (RTS) by today's standards, having first launched to PC nearly 14 years ago (and to the PlayStation 2 in November, 2001). Age of Empires II is returning to the limelight with a high-definition makeover and will be available exclusively through Steam on April 9th.

Age of Empires II HD will run $20 when it launches next month, though if you're feeling antsy, you place your pre-order today and save 10 percent, knocking $2 off the price. Even better, Steam is selling a 4-pack for $60, so if you can find three others who are interested in the remake, the price drops to $15 a pop.

Age of Empires

If you're an old school gamer, you may recall that Ensemble Studios developed the original version, which was published by Microsoft. This time around, Hidden Path Entertainment is responsible for the HD version, the same developer that made Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

Age of Empires II HD Compared

The updated version will feature all the same single-player campaigns as before, plus a Conquerors expansion for a total of 18 campaigns, all in Full HD 1080p (1920x1080). And being a Steam title, it will include achievements, leaderboards, and Steam Cloud support.

To run the game, you'll need a PC with a 1.2GHz or faster processor, 1GB or mor RAM, at least 2GB of hard drive space, a DirectX 9.0c capable GPU, and Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8. In other words, you need a PC purchased within the last 500 years (slight exaggeration).
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 12:28 PM

Wow. There are a LOT of "HD" updates, but this is one game that actually deserves to have "HD" in its name. Just gorgeous. I can't wait to get this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870

Awesome! I'm really glad it has the original look of the game and not a "HD" version where they have cartoon looking graphics instead(ie AOE Online). Gonna pick this up too, it will be sweet to play on my monitor with a widescreen resolution, instead of the old 1280 x 1024.

On a side note, I'd like it to come to mobile too, I'm sure a control method could be sorted out, with maybe two fingers to group select, etc.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
agent007 replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 3:57 PM

I will pay any price if they remade EMPIRE EARTH 1 in HD (EMPIRE EARTH 1 IS THE BEST STRATEGY GAME EVER MADE )

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 5:55 PM

Let's hope it'll happen. There seems to be a resurgence of HD remakes lately. Nostalgia sells!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

can run it in my samsung ativ 500t ?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS