OUYA Shipping Consoles to Kickstarter Backers March 28th

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,689
Points 1,207,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 28 2013 4:12 PM
The time for OUYA’s official release in June is coming, but in the meantime, backers of the project (when OUYA was just a Kickstarter darling and nothing more) are getting their consoles early. We knew that it would be sometime in March, but the official word from the OUYA blog is that consoles will start shipping on March 28th.

In the post, co-founder Julie Uhrman did note that it could take a few weeks for everyone in the queue to receive their consoles, but that’s probably because there are “tens of thousands” of backers that are getting an early device.

OUYA

The Ball
Screengrab from "The Ball"

The post included some news about upcoming games, too. Airtight Games and Tripwire Interactive are both developing an exclusive title each for the system. The latter is porting its “The Ball” to OUYA, just as nWay and Minority Media are bringing “ChronoBlade” and “Papo & Yo”, respectively.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,684
Points 55,795
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:30 PM

I wish them well. If ever there was a prototypical Kickstarter effort that sort of put Kickstarter on the map, OUYA is it.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:44 PM

I've got a buddy who is completely convinced that this will be the next cheap go to home media platform. Anyone have any idea just how open source this thing is? For instance, could we flash it and run another OS?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 320

They've said it comes extremely easy to root, so I would assume you could get ubuntu for arm running on it. And yes, even if this thing dies it will still be worth 100$ as a media center (imo). Also, with the high quality controller, its amazing for emulators.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Sweet, I imagined ti would be, I just haven't really had the desire or time to dig into this thing yet. I don't really think we'll be able to get our hands on more than one system until late next year. Pretty sure these things will be sold out the second they become available in June. Way too much hype right now.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

Couldn't agree with you more. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of these wonderful projects more often, as Kickstarter has but good intentions of supporting a successful product. Wish the best of luck the guys/gals who created the Ouya. It's very open-sourced, so we should see good things out of this box and see it mature to more than this a small box if it hold its ground. Personally, I think it will due to its low $100 price tag. Way lower in price than the current or upcoming consoles in the market..

Sure! You can ta***e my tech toys when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,835
ForumsAdministrator

Back when they first starting talking about OUYA, they said it was specifically designed to be hacked, tinkered with, etc. My impression is that the team will encourage innovation with it in that way, so yeah, you could probably do anything you wanted. Just make sure to let the OUYA people know if you end up with anything cool!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS