MYO Gesture Control Arm Band Uses Your Muscles for Computer Interface

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:26 PM
It seems very likely that gesture-based devices like the Kinect will play increasingly larger roles in our lives in the near future, but what’s not clear yet is which underlying technology will be king. Camera-based gesture devices are big now, but Thalmic Labs wants to shake things up with its new MYO armband, which reads the electrical activity of your muscles to capture gestures. It then wirelessly transmits those signals to your computer, letting you perform tasks that you might ordinarily use a mouse or other input device for.

MYO Armband Wireless, Wearable Input Device

If you’re picturing yourself waving wildly, think again. The armband monitors your muscle movements, not the motion of your arm. The result is that you can make gestures with your fingers and hands that are picked up by the armband. It’s a device that you can wear regularly, even if you’re not using it, and then enable it with a specific gesture when the armband is needed. The MYO has built-in rechargeable batteries and will use Bluetooth 4.0 to communicate with your devices and computers.

The MYO hasn’t hit the market yet, but Thalmic Labs expects it to before the end of the year, and it’s already taking preorders for (what it says is a limited initial number of) the armbands. Interestingly, you’ll only pay $149 for the MYO, which supports PCs and Macs, among other devices. And Thalmic is already wooing developers and touting its upcoming API kit, so expect this thing to have some really interesting uses soon. Google Glass, gaming headsets, armbands – wearable technology is starting to get really cool.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:41 PM

That's pretty awesome if you ask me. I wonder how many gestures it can learn?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:51 PM

OCZ was working on a head band that could detect muscle twitches and I think that has not been released? I hope this makes it to market. I would imagine with one of these on each arm and the ocz headband you could control anything...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 115

interesting

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

According to this article, it only comes with a set of pre-programmed gestures and won't let users customize nor add their own...at least not yet. I really hope that changes, otherwise it will loose a little bit of the potential spark for me.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

MYO can control your computer, phone & other digital technologies wirelessly with the electrical activity of your muscle, Along with Thalmic’s proprietary muscle activity sensor & Bluetooth 4.0 technology. For more info click the link below:

http://outfresh.com/latest-technology/new-tech-devices/gesture-control-myo-vs-leap-motion/

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS