Crysis 3: Amazing Graphics, Boring Execution

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,167,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:48 AM

Crysis 3:  Amazing Graphics, Boring ExecutionLet's get one thing clear up front. Crysis 3's graphics are absolutely stunning. Crytek's latest game doesn't raise the bar -- it annihilates it. At the highest settings, Crysis blows Battlefield 3 out of the water, makes mincemeat of Max Payne, and makes the original Crysis -- itself a graphics powerhouse -- look more like the first Call of Duty. Crysis 3 really is that stunning, provided that you've got the video card to handle it. Like the first game, this title is capable of bringing even a high-end card to its knees. Everyone who worked in the artistic departments, from character animations to texturing, deserves an award. So does the head composer. The people who wrote the game's plot, on the other hand, don't deserve the same accolades...

Crysis 3: Amazing Graphics, Boring Execution

• | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 12:39 PM

Check that post a few days ago where Ubisoft wanted to know what PC gamers wanted to make their games better.

My comment on that post reflects exactly what this article says. They make STUNNING games, they're beautiful, you sometimes are completely in shock by the beauty of what their artist created. However, the game play is almost always lacking. Look at Farcry 2, completely beautiful, repetitive game play. Farcry 3, beautiful, better game play, however it's still lacking in the longtime game play. Crysis 2? I can't really comment, I bought it, played it for 10 minutes, uninstalled it, and never looked back. They just generally suck when it comes to game mechanics, if they could find someone who can create the actual game play as good as they can create a stunning world, then ubisoft would be one of the greatest game developers ever.

I still love Ubisoft, and i'm sure I'll eventually pick up Crysis 3, I just hate that they always let me down when it comes to game mechanics or replayability.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,570
Joel H replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:45 PM

I was disappointed in Crysis 3. Not so much in the vague narrative, but in the sloppy execution. I think it really could've been a great game -- it *tries* to be a great game. I liked it quite a bit more than Far Cry 3, for example.

It could still be a worthy title if Crytek patches some bugs and fine-tunes a few other aspects. But at $60, it leaves me cold.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 2:46 PM

Seems like I'm one of the rare ones that -loved- this game. The biggest downsides for me was the sometimes poor AI, the useless map and the mediocre hacking. Aside from that, I loved the story, the action and of course, the graphics. And this is coming from someone who couldn't ever get into the previous Crysis games. This one actually intrigues me enough to go back and give them an honest go, though.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:02 PM

Wow I loved the game, Graphics are fantastic and I enjoyed the story line. Liked it more then Crysis 1 and 2. I did finish the game and I did like the way it ended. I;ll be playing it again on the next hardest mode.

I give FarCry 3 about 15 minutes before I turned it off, idk something about it i just need really enjoy. Same with Guildwars 2, i think GW2 was the lagish controls. Maxpayne about 2 hours.

BF3 still wins it for online, but it still seems good.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,570
Joel H replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:43 PM

I'm glad other folks have liked it. I just can't claim to be one of them. :) 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 12:03 PM

They sent me a alpha key a few months back and like all crysis games it looked amazing but the game play still felt like it was lacking. I dont know what it is but i can never get into the multiplayer of crysis like other games such as css, tf2, or bf3. When the price comes down to $20 i will think about buying it.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
RRitz replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:56 PM

I just got Crysis 3 and heard that the last patch just about made the MP unplayable?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

I have to agree. I work retail and we sell Crysis 3. Not only did the game not get much attention, it got most people not interested in buying it because of the poor online experience.

And I agree with RiCoFrost, BF3 is still one of the main multiplayer games which dominates over some other Multiplayer games.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50
rychu79 replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:22 PM

Sounds like todays rap music. Good beats but crap lyrics.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:38 PM

Aouch ! It hurt !

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 6:50 PM

This pretty much confirms what I have heard is that Crysis 3 looks amazing but is boring. I played the first crysis and played about an hour of the second one and quit. Since they got the looks down maybe the next one they will work on the story and user experience.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS