LG Acquires webOS From HP to Power Smart TVs

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,384
Points 1,192,310
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:25 PM
Surprise! LG has agreed to acquire webOS from Hewlett-Packard, potentially breathing new life into an operating system that was on the brink of death. Under terms of the deal, LG gains rights to the webOS source code, all related documentation and websites, and even a team of engineers. It's not known how much LG is paying for webOS, though the company did divulge its plans for the platform.

According to CNet, which broke news of the acquisition (no official announcement has yet been made), LG plans to use webOS to power a future generation of Smart TVs, not smartphones or tablets.

"It creates a new path for LG to offer an intuitive user experience and Internet services across a range of consumer electronics devices," said Skott Ahn, president and chief technology officer of LG Electronics Inc

LG HDTV

The deal comes nearly three years after HP acquired Palm (and webOS) for $1.2 billion. Barely a year later, HP reportedly tried offloading Palm for the same price it paid, but having bungled the acquisition, there wasn't a buyer in sight willing to pay the asking price.

There's a lot of potential that remains in the webOS platform, and it will now be up to LG to tap into it. Here's hoping they do a better job than HP did.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 4:02 PM

Eh... I am sort of confused... WebOS had a lot of potential versus early iOS and even earlier android.. But now with a 3 year hiatus with only nominal input from the user community I don't think it stacks up well at all against the competition especially on a large screen like a TV. My other concern is if LG moves towards webOS on their TV's this will further detach their other devices like android smartphones and tablets from the living room experience and fragment the LG experience as a whole since I don't think they will be going with webOS on phones or tablets any time soon.

This can only hurt LG if it doesn't go well and they will fall further behind in the connected TV market race.

Won't affect me though as I would never consider buying an LG tv any way.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:50 PM

They would not have bought it without a plan in place. This is probably saving them money in the long run, and they get to tweak it any way that they want to.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 626
Points 5,600
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:30 PM

I'm a little saddened by this. WebOS had major potential years ago, and now it's just being relegated to a freaking TV screen.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS