Ubisoft Wants to Improve Their Relationship with PC Gamers

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,732
Points 1,209,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Feb 23 2013 11:01 AM
The life of a PC gamer isn't always easy. Sometimes we have to watch our console brethren play a particular title while we wait months for the PC release, as will probably be the case with Rockstar's upcoming Grand Theft Auto V, and in other instances, we're saddled with crappy ports (Resident Evil 4, anyone?). We only bring this up to underscore the significance of Ubisoft saying it wants a tighter relationship with us PC folk.

Ubisoft has gotten grief in the past for its DRM policies, and while its always-on anti-piracy measures are a thing of the past, Ubisosft hasn't stopped listening to player feedback. The game developer is also looking to beef up its Uplay service by offering a bigger selection of titles from more third party participants, like EA and Telltale.

Far Cry 3

"Announcing all these partners for Uplay and wider choice of PC games, it shows our commitment to the PC, and we want to improve our relationship with the PC community," Uplay director Stephanie Perotti told MCV. "We are always seeking to improve. We took a lot of that feedback on board. With every game on PC we are improving. Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed III on PC were very high quality."

No argument there, especially in regards to Far Cry 3.

Third party titles were added to Uplay earlier this week, and the service now boasts 30 titles from third party publishers. More will be announced in the coming weeks and months, Perotti promised.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 1,120
KOwen replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:31 PM

If they really want to show their commitment to PC gamers then they should remove Uplay altogether. I'm tired of launching Far Cry 3 via Steam only to have Ubisofts required software get in my way and make me launch it again from there which overrides the steam in-game overlay. Why even offer it to be sold on Steam then if they are going to force players to use their software anyways? It's just as frustrating as Origin but at least Origin just straight up ignores Steam and doesn't pretend to play nice and offer their games on it. I feel like EA and Ubisoft are trying to compete with Steam but what they don't understand is that Steam = voluntary, Origin and Uplay = mandatory, and they use our favorite game titles as bait to force us into using them. More third party titles won't change the fact that I want to only use steam. And I wouldn't be boasting about only 30 titles Ubisoft.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:46 PM

I couldn't agree more. On the other hand though, I'm thankful Ubisoft hasn't taken the route of EA and made sure its most popular games are not available on Steam. Origin screwed me over earlier this week when it wouldn't allow me to download Crysis 3 when it was launched, so that reaffirmed my belief that it's just garbage.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 1,120
KOwen replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:58 PM

I also remember hearing something about Origin scanning peoples computer without permission to gather usage information or something? I don't know if they stopped that or not but it doesn't really make a difference for me because that is the price I pay for wanting to play Sim City 5 next month.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 6:21 PM

Personally, I'm satisfied with Origin. Sure it's another program running, but I don't ever have to look at it unless I'm downloading a new game.  However, Steam is the answer, another attempt at  a Steam clone is just a waste of everyone's time and resources.  Ubisoft needs to spend more time on game development.  Sure they release some really good titles, but 90% of the time they're overhyped, visually stunning, but nearly always suffer from some game mechanic that just takes away from a game that could have been damn near perfect.  

Saying that, Farcry is what got me into competitive gaming, and every farcry/Crysis release afterwards never satisfied me like the original farcry did.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS