Mark Zuckerberg Isn't Interested in a Facebook Phone

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,928
Points 1,118,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:31 PM
If you've been holding your breath for confirmation of a Facebook Phone, go ahead and exhale, lest you turn blue in the face. The cold, hard truth (for social networking junkies) is that no such device is imminent. Furthermore, Mark Zuckerberg doesn't even seem interested in entertaining the idea in the near future, if ever.

"We're not going to build a phone," Zuckerberg said during Facebook's earnings call on Wednesday, CNet reports. "It's not the right strategy for us to build one integrated system. Let's say we sell 10 million units -- that would be 1 percent of users. Who cares for us?"

Facebook Phone

That's about as blunt as it gets, and it comes at a time when rumors of a Facebook brand smartphone seem intent on persisting on the Internet. It doesn't matter, because the hardware isn't of interest to the man calling the shots. Instead, Zuckerberg is focused on fine tuning the Facebook experience across devices that already exist.

"We have a billion people using our products and we need to make Facebook really good across all the devices that they use," Zuckerberg added.

Are you disappointed that Zuckerberg isn't interested in building a Facebook Phone, or do you think that sort of thing is best left to existing handset makers?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:03 PM

That's a coincidence - I'm not interested, either. Facebook's mobile apps are a chore to use, so I'd hate to see what an entire phone would look like.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 901
Points 8,345
sevags replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:21 PM

Well that makes Mr. Z, Rwilliams, Myself, and probably everyone else above the age of 13... You know.. the people who actually earn a wage and decide on phone purchases.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,484
Points 53,990
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:15 PM

I think Zuck is no dummy and this was obviously a market they had no chance competing in.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS