Google's Nexus 4 Finally Back in Stock, Are You Still Interested?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,696
Points 1,207,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:12 PM
Google's coveted Nexus 4 (see our review) is punching its passport and making repeat appearances in at least three locations today, including the U.S., Canada, and Germany. The Nexus 4 has been a slippery little sucker to get your hands on, and who knows how much inventory is available in each of those three locales. For now, however, it's back in stock. The question is, do you still want one?

The Nexus 4 has been plagued with supply issues ever since it was released on November 13, 2012, more than two and a half months ago. LG, the company that manufactures the Nexus 4, said the shortage is due in part because of how popular the device is, and also because retailers failed to provide proper sales estimates.

Nexus 4

Google's Nexus 4 delivers an unadulterated Android experience with a pure version of Jelly Bean. The software is wrapped in capable hardware that includes a 4.7-inch IPS display (1280x768), 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM, 8GB or 16GB of internal storage, 1.3MP front-facing camera, 8MP fear-facing camera, HDMI output, and a micro USB port (but no microSD card slot or native 4G LTE connectivity). The icing on the cake is that it sells for just $299 for 8GB and $349 for 16GB, both of which are unlocked and off-contract.

For now, the Nexus 4 is once again available to order and ships out in 1-2 weeks.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 555
semitope replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:08 PM

"and a microSD car slot"

lol. The one thing I hate about the phone not having too

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:23 PM

It's still a nice looking phone. The M-SD slot is a huge plus.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 320
samwelaye replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:39 PM

the nexus 4 does not have a microsd slot... how can a tech site misreport this there has been explosions on the internet since launch due to having no SD slot. Even in your own review you said there is no sd slot!

PS: I own one, there is no slot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Points 2,235

You sir, are correct -- good catch. No native 4G LTE connectivity either, though still a good overall buy.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I wanted one of these, but 16GB is a *** joke once you take OS and app room you have maybe 10GB left. No LTE. I have tasted it and now I would hate to lose it. It is always at least two times faster for me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:12 AM

A good choice if you are on T-mobile in the US and are due an upgrade. The 16GB model is $199 from T-Mo and is the same as the 16Gb $349 model direct from Google (unlocked and just vanilla Android Jelly bean). Keep in mind T-Mobile doesn't have true 4G they brand their HSPA+42 as 4G, where the download speed can be close to LTE speed but the upload speed and round trip pings are lacking.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:37 PM

I have the Nexus 4 on T-mobiles network and it never feels slow (except in some random coverage gaps ugh!)

I bought the 8GB version from Google the day it came out and ive still got 5.67GB free. Most of the media I consume is streamed so I really don't miss the storage...

HOWEVER, I have hit my 2GB data limit before the end of the month twice now with mixed wifi and cellular usage. I'm starting to think I might need to up my data plan... The alternative... which is not availble with this phone, would be to put all my music on a microsd :-(

Also... the screen scratches easy!! This phone usually has a pocket of it's own, or it is shared with my leather wallet which should not be able to scratch the screen. It has never been dropped, and I don't lay it face down... yet mysteriously i have many small scratches on the screen which appear in just the right lighting conditions... I expected more from Gorilla Glass... I had a Samsung Focus for over a year and never had this problem... I took a knife to my galaxy s2 and never had a scratch (but it shattered when dropped... whoops)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS