Military-Grade Bunker XRV-5241 Server Can Withstand Drops and Cold Temperatures

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,870
Points 1,172,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jan 27 2013 3:56 PM

It goes without saying that where durability, stability and endurance are concerned, few organizations care quite as much about the products they deploy than the military. The term "Military-Grade" exists for a reason, after all. Rugged laptops are common there - they need to withstand dirt and an occasional bump - but what about servers? While it might seem a bit strange to picture a server being knocked to the ground or dropped from a flight - it is a very real possibility in the military. Thankfully, solutions for this do exist, with the latest coming from PC vendor NCS.

Called the Bunker XRV-5241, this 1U server is able to operate at altitudes between -45 - 10,000 feet and in temperatures of 0°C (32°F) - 50°C (122°F). Non-operating, those values extend to -40°C (-40°F) - 70°C (-158°F) and -45 - 25,000 feet. In the event of extreme humidity, the server can handle up to 95% at 35°C - a cringe-worthy environment, to be sure.

Perhaps most importantly, the XRV-5241 can withstand a drop of up to 1 meter. If it seems unlikely that someone would bump into a server, consider the fact that this rating means it could also be roughed around with - important in a hectic situation. Or, perhaps it could withstand the swift kick of an upset IT guy.

Specs-wise, the server can hold dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 processors, up to 256GB of memory (8 slots), up to 4 hard drives and comes equipped with a full complement of connectivity options, including Intel's i350 Gbit Ethernet and 40Gbit InfiniBand controller.

The Bunker XRV-5241 is one heck of a server, not only from a durability standpoint, but performance standpoint as well. I sure wouldn't mind having one of these hogging space in my house.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Points 670
ECouts replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 4:53 PM

Wow...1 meter...not impressed. Once it can withstand sub-freezing temperatures or temperatures in excess of 145 degrees F (desert) while working, can withstand pouring rain, can be dropped out of a moving aircraft, and can withstand a bullet to the case, I'll consider it military grade. Until then, bs.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:05 PM

I like your style.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:09 PM

1 meter is only about twice as high as we would use when doing the "Atari Drop" back in the day. I fixed factory-new dead systems by re-seating their chipsets.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 425
MCook replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:44 PM

Is it EMP and Radiation proof though?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:31 AM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Informative post is shared that i know only about the rugged laptops see special features
 that they withstand the cold and hot temperature up to -4 to 131 degrees Fahrenheit if we talk about the latest upcoming lightest rugged laptop through AMREL, but the future will no doubt will see the solar powered laptop whose battery last more than 15 hours.
Working as telecom engineer I know the server installation and de-installation inside room and underground room but this development will able to install the servers any where across the areas having high and low temperature, nice information I like it.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS