Valve Continues its GoldSrc Roll-out for Linux and Mac with Counter-Strike 1.6

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:16 AM

We reported on Valve's roll-out of the original Half-Life for Linux and Mac yesterday, but it doesn't look like the fun was meant to stop there. Today, Valve followed-up with a release of the original Counter-Strike, or "1.6" as it's commonly known. That puts the total number of games based on the GoldSrc engine available for Linux and Mac at two, and one for Source (Team Fortress 2).

Like Half-Life, Counter-Strike is currently being called a beta, and it's for good reason. While the games themselves are very old, this is the first time they've been properly ported to Linux - so there's bound to be issues. I experienced some the other day with Half-Life, but the bugs with Counter-Strike at the current time are even harder to ignore. Currently, it's nearly impossible to join a server with any map at all - and for a multi-player game, that's a problem. Any attempt to join a cs_office server, for example, would tell me there was a map mismatch, and if I tried to connect to a custom map server, I'd get a message about the server enforcing sprite values.

Counter-Strike 1.6 Under Linux

We'd imagine that these issues are going to be tackled very quickly - perhaps as early as this weekend. I managed to play Half-Life online the other evening without issue, so it's a little bizarre that Counter-Strike suffers one.

Nonetheless, it can be assumed that Valve is interested in rolling-out as many GoldSrc-based games as possible before moving onto Source, though I'd presume the company will skip over certain games that are not exactly attention-getters. Other Valve GoldSrc games are:

• Day of Defeat
  • Deathmatch Classic
  • Half-Life: Opposing Force (Gearbox)
  • Half-Life: Blue Shift (Gearbox)
  • Ricochet
  • Team Fortress Classic

There exist other GoldSrc games, but from other publishers. One example is Gunman Chronicles, a game produced by Sierra in 2000 before Valve became a publisher itself. To date, that game is not available even through Steam on Windows.

With Valve's roll-out of two GoldSrc games in rapid succession though, it might mean great things are en route for both Linux and Mac OS X users. I'm having a hard time not getting a little excited at the prospect of playing Half-Life 2 and Portal 1 and 2 under Linux. With Team Fortress 2 already available, there's little doubt they'll make the trek on over soon enough.

X3: Reunion Under Linux

On a side note, Valve also just released X3: Reunion to at least its Linux client (I can't verify Mac).

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 7:23 PM

>> "Currently, it's nearly impossible to join a server with any map at all"

Click "Refresh all". For some reason, they set it up to not auto-refresh when you display the list. I see 1100+ servers and can get in them fine.  (Edit:  After going through another dozen, it looks like some of them are enforcing consistency checks on some sprites that have been updated in the Linux version, which doesn't allow you to connect.  I can still connect to most, though.)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 9:48 PM

Err, that might have been poor wording on my part. I meant it being difficult to literally connect to them, not just have them show in the list. The server manager IS kind of archaic in how it operates though (can't double-click to join a server). At the time I wrote this, I quite literally tried 20 different servers and couldn't connect to a single one. Similar errors for each.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 9:56 PM

That's weird... I've been connecting to a bunch of different servers for the last hour, just to download the maps and stuff for when I want to play later. I've got about a 50% success rate. I'm starting with the servers closest to me, of course, because no one wants to play with lag.

What is the error you're getting? I've seen some refuse to start because I didn't have a 3rd party map (and the server isn't configured to send it), and I've seen others complain about some spray/sprite consistency enforcement.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:31 AM

I'll give this another go later, as a fix might have been pushed through since I wrote this post. I mentioned the errors in the post: "Any attempt to join a cs_office server, for example, would tell me there was a map mismatch, and if I tried to connect to a custom map server, I'd get a message about the server enforcing sprite values."

I could create a server no problem, but couldn't join even one. I wanted to get in a quick round of killbox!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:36 AM

This is great! I hope Steam continues forward with porting more titles over to Linux- Just brings me one step closer to leaving the others as a whole!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I like having old games ported and all. CS is still a super popular game, but I am most interested in seeing new games ported right away. I'm sure Valve will be, but I hope this SteamBox thing can sell well enough to convince other devs too.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS