Apple’s Counter-Attack, New iPhones Rumored to Be Arriving in June

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,687
Points 1,155,970
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2013 9:58 AM
If we might be allowed to exaggerate for a moment, Apple finds itself in dire straits these days. Here are the facts: Apple's stock is only worth $500 per share, the company's slice of the smartphone pie in the U.S. is just 18.5 percent, and the iPhone has lost its luster compared to sexier Android phones and the emergence of intriguing Windows Phone 8 devices. The world is crumbling right before Apple's eyes!

Okay, so things aren't really that bad. At $500 per share, Apple's market capitalization is an obscene $470.35 billion, and 18.5 percent isn't too shabby when you're the sole manufacturer of devices that run on your platform. In other words, Apple isn't at risk of declaring bankruptcy or being deemed irrelevant, but the competition has certainly caught up. These are interesting times in the mobile market, and all eyes are on Apple to see how it responds to what's become an ultra-competitive landscape.

iPhones
Image Source: dailytechgadgets.wordpress.com

There's at least one report out there that claims Apple is going to make three new iPhone models in 2013. One of those will be the the iPhone 5S, which would come as a shock to absolutely no one. A little more far fetched is the rumor of an iPhone Math, a larger size iPhone with a 4.8-inch screen. A horribly translated article in the China Times suggests that the iPhone Math will be the "key to Apple's reproduction glorious" -- you get the idea.

While unlikely, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for Apple to consider a 4.8-inch iPhone (as long as it's not called iPhone Math). Certainly there exists smartphone buyers who prioritize screen size over platform, and for them, Android is where most of the action is at. A 4.8-inch iPhone might sway some of those buyers over to iOS.

And what about the third iPhone model? The report doesn't go into detail, but there have been rumors that Apple's been considering a lower cost iPhone, one that's made of polycarbonate plastic instead of aluminum.

What's your take on all this -- should Apple release more iPhone models, or stick to what's it been doing?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:33 PM

With all of their recent 'innovation' people just don't give a damn about them other than as a perverse status symbol. Most of their consumer products are just old, tired and really showing their age now. Adding a few rows of pixels to the 4S and calling it the 5 just shows how deep this lack of effort runs.

Hell, the 5 STILL doesn't have a 16:9 screen (check out the actual numbers, not the apple provided hype PR), and just look at how long its taken them to release a sub 9.8" tablet even after people demanding one from them for years.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 982
Points 9,080
sevags replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 5:52 PM

They do need a larger option for those who want it so they can stop complaining, the current 5 size, a 3.1" "mini", AND a cheap plastic version 4". Cover all bases.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
tjlis2004 replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 1:39 PM

One thing that makes Apple stick out from the other manufactures is that when you buy a phone you expect it to last 2 years. I switched to apple for this reason. Producing cheaper, plastic, phones would just hurt this image that they created. Not only that but hurt the resale value of the Apple phone. Secondly yes Apple did need to make a larger phone, but that being said I'm glad they kept the dimensions in check. Phone sizes and PDA like phones are fads they come they go. I remember in 2006 it was all about the large PDA type phones, then it when to the smaller sleeker phones like the Motorola Razor, and now we are inching back toward that PDA size phone again. What made apple so big is they produced something that fit the general public that everyone wanted so with it came a high price tag. And before people start yelling Apple fan boy I use a PC for everything, I had many Android phones but got fed up with phones only lasting 6 months to a year before they fell apart, or were no longer receiving updates. I owned windows phones prior to the windows 8 phones. Just an observation of what made them big. Steve Jobs was no big inventor, he was a huge marketer and he was good at it. Apple would be wise to keep an objective eye and not get distracted by shiny objects.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 346
Points 2,505

Honestly, as much as i am for variety, I think Apple should stick to what they do best. It seems most people love the iPhone for what it has and doesn't have.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS