Microsoft Reminds You That Windows 8 Upgrades Will Cost More Next Month

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,793
Points 1,163,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:11 PM
Did you make a New Year's Resolution to update you Windows 7 rig to Windows 8? Better start making good on it, or else that upgrade's going to cost you more in the long run. A new post from Microsoft this week notes that Windows 8 is seeing "good momentum," but it also reminds people that a relatively affordable Win8 update will soon cost more if you don't jump on things while the getting is good. Starting on 2/1, Windows 8 upgrades are going to cost more. The Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $199.99, while the Windows 8 upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $119.99. If you're looking for the Win8 Pro Pack, that'll cost $99.99, while Windows 8 Media Center Pack will cost $9.99.

There's still an ongoing promotion through 1/31, where you can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 via Windows.com using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. For those who wish to get a copy of the physical media, you can snag that at a local retailer through 1/31 for $69.99. If you bought an eligible Windows 7 PC between June 2nd and January 31st, 2013 – be sure to register for the Windows Upgrade Offer and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99.

Moral of the story? Don't wait too much longer to get hip with those live tiles!
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 12:40 AM

Soooooo... it'll cost more to downgrade next month?

My experience with Win8 has varied between confusion (multiple apps failing to install on first try, but work on second) and frustration (add HP2600N networked printer). I know the PC is fine, because the Linux partition has never had any errors when doing the same stuff.

I *Highly* recommend that anyone with Win7 that can't move to Linux just hold out for Win9. Trust me, it will be SOON, as Win8 sales are tanking.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 4:22 PM

3vi1:
Soooooo... it'll cost more to downgrade next month?

LOL!

I wouldn't change over to Win-8 if it was free. Win-7 and Linux are fine with me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 5

I've made a New Year's resolution: have nothing to do with Windows 8, even if it's free.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

No thanks, Windows 8. I am staying with 7 for the foreseeable future.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS