Opinions on my first build.

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
tompettibone Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2013 5:24 PM

Building my first computer. What do you guys think? Everything look alright?

ASUS sabertooth 990fx

Phenom IIx4 965 Black

Samsung 840 pro series 128 GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

XFX Core Edition Pro550w PSU

ASUS 24x dvd burner

ETS-T40-TB CPU cooler

G.Skill Ares series 8GB 1866

CM HAF 912 painted black inside with 6 120mm fans

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:20 PM

That's a good parts list, but what are you gonna use for a video card?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110

I knew I was forgetting to list something. My brother gave me an EVGA GTX 560 Ti. I'll use that for now. Probably upgrade later.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:35 PM

That's a good card. You can always add another one later for SLI performance.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110

Was thinking about doing that. I'd have to upgrade the PSU then also. Thanks for the reply!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:56 PM

Sounds like a solid build to me, might want to step up to a higher capacity power supply now if you want to leave room for future upgrades instead of waiting. Make sure to post some pics, we love seeing build pics!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:31 PM

CDeeter:
we love seeing build pics!

I just did a build. Here are two pics for you.

It's in a Fractal ARC-Midi case.

CPU: AMD FX-4170 @4.2Ghz, MoBo: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+, RAM: 16GB Mushkin RedLine 2133MHz., Storage HDD: Samsung SATA-III 6GBs 750GB, SATA-III SSDs: Kingston 120GB for OS and OCZ Solid 60GB for Games, GPUs: Two XFX R7770 in Crossfire, Optical Drives: Two Plextor DVD Burners, PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W Modular, CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40-VD, Additional Fans: Four Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM Two on top of case and two on the CPU Cooler.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:41 PM

Hmm pics not visible, sounds like a pretty killer system though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 3:02 PM

I see them alright. Wonder what's up with that?

Edit: I just checked the page with another browser and not logged in. I can see the pics without problem, so maybe you should flush your cache and try again.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:59 PM

tompettibone:

Building my first computer. What do you guys think? Everything look alright?

ASUS sabertooth 990fx

Phenom IIx4 965 Black

Samsung 840 pro series 128 GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

XFX Core Edition Pro550w PSU

ASUS 24x dvd burner

ETS-T40-TB CPU cooler

G.Skill Ares series 8GB 1866

CM HAF 912 painted black inside with 6 120mm fans

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyhow.

Here's my theory behind builds, especially 1st builds:

1.  Don't go cheap on your case or PSU.  Those items can be recycled for 3,4, or however many builds they remain relevant.  Spending a little more now, will definitely save you a lot in the future.

2.  Socket type.  The phenom II x 4, is socket AM3.  Why not spend $10 more on a FX-4130 and pick up a socket AM3+ motherboard (After looking, the motherboard your choose does fully support AM3+ out of the box).  This way, when you decide to upgrade in the future, you may not have to purchase another motherboard.

So going back to #1.  Your case is definitely the better of the budget mid-sized cases.  If you don't mind punching your case a few times when you're trying to squeeze a component inside of it, then heck, it's a good deal.  Personally, I like the space of full size cases, not just to work inside of, but also for any additional items you choose to add at a later date.  Some of these GPU's are huge.  I already see you decided on another PSU, so i'll leave that alone.

#2.  Again, i'd suggest picking something up in the AM3+ range.  It's not really an increase in cost, and it could potentially save you some money on your next build.

Other thoughts:  While SSD's are amazing, and damn near hard to part with once you got one.  I still think they are too high for any sort of budget build.  If I were doing this build, I think i'd toss out the SSD, keep the 500GB hdd, and use the extra money from the SSD towards a better GPU.  Give the SSD market a few more quarters, and we'll likely see an even larger drop in cost.

This is all based off of assuming this PC is built for gaming.  I ran a i7-2600k with an older GTX 285 for a long while, friends of mine with comparable equipment with an SSD, typically only beat me in game by a 5 seconds or so.  Seeing that most games have wait times before the match begins, this literally gave them edge over me. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 7:44 PM

They are there now. Nice job man! Thanks for posting them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:40 PM

>>   Don't go cheap on your case or PSU

I cannot emphasize my support for this enough.  "Bargain" PSU's that come with cheap cases will usually give out within 2 to 8 months, in my experience - and you're lucky if they don't fry other stuff when they fail.

I have some huge PSUs and sweet cases that I just leapfrog from build to build.   And, when you have a system fail, it's great to have a good PSU on hand to test with.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Listen to these guys ^ :)

Getting a good power supply is going to be one of the best things you do.  Good brands that are -subcompanies of seasonic are fairly good IMO, such as XFX, however I have had a bad xfx psu before.

Good brands like Corsair are some of the best though.

Also, if you can, go for a good higher end single card solution over dual card as often as you can.  Sell that 560ti, and use that money that you put towards the second card, to get a better single-card solution.  SLI and Crossfire lead to a whole other variety of problems for most people.  

Also, you might want to consider "Frame rating" issues when it comes to dual cards.

Anyway, good luck :)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS