343 Industries to Pull the Plug on Halo 2 PC Servers in February

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,869
Points 1,116,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:36 AM
In what's sure to bring tears to tens of people, Halo 2's PC multiplayer servers are permanently going dark next month. 343 Industries made the decision to pull the plug when it noticed that usage was consistently peaking at around just 20 player or less.

"We’re sad to report that the service end-date for Halo 2 PC multiplayer will be February 15, 2013. We’ve been monitoring the population for months, and it’s been peaking consistently at approximately 20 players or less. Those that own this game can continue to enjoy multiplayer over LAN after that date; however our network services will be turned off at that time. We love you, Halo 2 PC, and you will live forever in our hearts," 343 Industries posted on Halo Waypoint.

Halo 2

As pointed out, PC gamers can still play multiplayer matches, they'll just need to host the game sessions themselves.

Halo 2 launched over eight years ago in 2004 to the Xbox 360, and then to PC in May 2007. Halo 2's Xbox servers where then unplugged in April 2010, while the PC servers remained online.

The Halo series has been a cash cow and continues to attract new fans. In November, Microsoft announced that Halo 4 sales topped $220 million in the 24 hours, qualifying it as the "biggest U.S. entertainment launch of the year" up to that point. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 managed to outgun Halo 4 sales by raking in $500 million during its first 24 hours, but it's worth nothing that Black Ops 2 launched to multiple platforms, giving it a decided advantage.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 578
Points 5,255
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:45 AM

I didn't even realize that Halo 2 WAS for the PC.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:28 PM

RWilliams:

I didn't even realize that Halo 2 WAS for the PC.

Me neither, I thought it was just halo.  If they put Halo 4 on PC, i'd be all over it.  I don't think I've touched my computer in about 2 weeks (personal record), because I've been steady playing halo 4 on console.  I just haven't been very pleased with some of the games that have come out over the past few years.  It's a shame they didn't port halo 4 to PC, I really think they are missing out on an entire different level of Halo players.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 578
Points 5,255
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:31 PM

I have no doubts that the reason the later Halos haven't been brought to the PC is because it's one series that makes some people even buy an Xbox in the first place. I'm with you though; I'd like to enjoy those games but I can't stand playing an FPS with a gamepad.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:49 PM

RWilliams:

I have no doubts that the reason the later Halos haven't been brought to the PC is because it's one series that makes some people even buy an Xbox in the first place. I'm with you though; I'd like to enjoy those games but I can't stand playing an FPS with a gamepad.

Well my issue is, i'm highly competitive.  Back in my younger years I did a lot of competitions, but organizations like MLG weren't around back then, so I stopped wasting my time (scrimmages, practice, etc).  Nowadays I'd love to find a game where I excel at as much as I did back when I played Farcry.  It just seems that everything out there either doesn't meet my expectations, or if it does, it isn't considered to be a competitive game.  

Something you may or may not know :  Battlefield 3, during the beta stages, allowed cross platform matches.  So I'd hop in a PS3/Xbox360 server on my PC and completely rip apart console players.  So after beta was released, EA looked at this and decided that the world wasn't ready for cross platform matches and took it out of Battlefield 3.  PC players just have much more precision with a mouse and keyboard, than console gamers have with a controller.  

After seeing that, I decided to go out and look up how to connect a keyboard/mouse to an xbox.  Well here it is : http://store.xim3.com/XIM3_p_12.html

I just can't justify spending $90 unless I can somehow play competitive matches from the comfort of my living room without anyone ever noticing.  Many developers have banned the use of XIM devices on their games, although XIM claims there is no way for them to actually detect it. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 578
Points 5,255
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:55 PM

I've seen that before, and like you, I just don't want to spend money on it. Plus, it's a clunky design unless you actually setup your Xbox like you do your PC so you can sit at your desk and play.

Edit: Plus there's the fact that using a KB+Mouse for a console FPS automatically makes the game easier, even for single-player. It'd kind of take the fun out of things.

As for dominating when you're on the PC and everyone else is on the console, that's no surprise. I give DICE major props for even testing the waters though. Most racing games don't even allow cross-platform play. RACING GAMES! Sheesh.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 650
Atticus14 replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 4:34 PM

not only is Halo a system seller it keeps people paying the dumb Live! fee, so yeah it'll probably never come to PC again.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

Halo...eh, no thanks. BF 3 for me.

=)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS