Shortcuts

Mushkin's 480GB Atlas mSATA SSD Starts Shipping in the U.S.

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,785
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:24 AM
Like many memory makers, Mushkin is heavily focused on solid state drives (SSDs) these days, having previously launched its enterprise-friendly ProSpec SSD family at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas last week. Without skipping a beat, Mushkin today announced the U.S. availability of its capacious 480GB Atlas mSATA SSD.

It's only available in the U.S. and through Newegg.com, where it's selling for $500. Worldwide availability is scheduled for the end of November, Mushkin says.

Mushkin Atlas SSD

The 480GB Atlas sports a SandForce SF-2281 controller with unthrottled IOPS. It has a SATA 6Gbps interface and features read and write speeds of up to 540MB/s and 425MB/s, respectively. Other highlights include TRIM support, S.M.A.R.T. support, built-in BCH ECC, and NCQ support.

This is an mSATA (or mini-SATA) drive, which means it's much smaller than your typical SSD. The connector resembles a PCI Express Mini Card interface and is intended for embedded applications, such as you might find in small form factor (SFF) PCs and systems like Intel's NUC (Next Unit of Computing) PC.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:05 PM

Unless I'm missing it, the market for these things is about as niche as it gets. I have friends who have motherboards with an mSATA port but just have no interest in using it. I could see its use in something like the NUC though, but it'd be humorous to go with a storage solution that costs as much as the NUC itself.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Points 2,185

It's fairly niche in aftermarket circles, but mSATA is becoming more common in devices like Ultrabooks and all these SFF PCs that are coming out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:01 PM

Any use for these in laptops? I got a smaller 128gb SSD in my laptop now and it's just not enough. A buddy of mine was telling me you can remove the optical drive and replace it with a 2nd hdd bay. So anyhow, I was thinking, with these being smaller, maybe they could squeeze 2 or even 3 inside a standard sized 15.6" laptop?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:52 PM

From the photo I notice the markings on the NAND memory is missing.

One of the best things about previous Mushkin Atlas mSATA SSDs was the use of Toshiba Toggle NAND memory.

Rumor has it that Mushkin has switched from the Toshible Toggle NAND to Micron Asynchronous NAND.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:25 PM

$442.75 at this store. (Not Newegg)

Also,....if I had an mSATA port on a motherboard, I would use it. No doubt in my mind.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS