Google Glass Competitor Vuzix Poised To Beat Google To Market

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,721
Points 1,208,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2013 2:36 PM
For as much attention Google Glass has received, due in part to appearing on the face of Google co-founder Sergey Brin at high-profile events such as a New York fashion show, Vuzix Corporation’s M100 Smart Glasses may quietly be beating Google to market. Indeed, Vuzix expects its M100 Smart Glasses to ship in the second half of this year.

Slightly less silly-looking than Google Glass, the M100 glasses run on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and feature a color display with a 16:9 aspect ratio, a 16-degree field of view, and about 2000 nits of brightness. Under the (very tiny) hood is a 1GHz OMAP4430 processor, 1GB of RAM, and 4GB of flash storage with a microSD slot for additional storage.

Vuzix M100

There’s also a 720p HD video camera, USB, power/select/volume up/down buttons, an ear speaker, a noise-cancelling microphone, and WiFi and Bluetooth for connectivity to the cloud. The hands-free glasses can communicate with iOS and Android devices to augment the use of smartphones, and they can be mounted in multiple ways, including over-the-head or over either eye. Spatial awareness technology, including GPS and head-tracking capabilities, helps the wearer with view orientation and enables augmented reality applications.

Vuzix M100

We don’t know what the Vuzix M100 Smart Glasses will cost, but we imagine that a certain number of users won’t care how high the price is. Google Glass may (or may not) be coming this spring, and we do know that they’ll retail for about $1500 each. Here’s to some healthy competition in wearable computing this year.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,078
Points 9,980
sevags replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:36 PM

hopefully I will be able to test one out somewhere but at these price points I could never jusify it. Maybe google Glass 4... Maybe...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 9:51 AM

I see these devices being like Bluetooth headsets really. Think about this if all cars/vehicles other than passenger carrying ones auto disable hand held devices and having a bluetooth ear piece and or external method of using a smart phone becomes law everywhere as it already has in many states it enhances the market penetration for any device like this automatically. The throw on the cool factor etc for added market it is enhanced as well. These things have a market and there not even available yet. I bet by #3 if not #2 release of these devices they will be more easily affordable. in three years getting on your computer will be putting on your bluetooth 5 headset which hooks to your octuple core smart phone/device and looking at a virtual 60" display!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
twisted replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 9:50 AM

Vuzix showed these in action at CES in Las Vegas. The video display was sharp and clear and looked about the same as my iPhone display held at a typical 12" to 14" distance. They said it would ship this summer at under $500. I have signed up for their SDK and received my SDK software already and pre-production hardware comes later. Their SDK costs $999 - a lot less than Googles $1500 which is not shipping yet nor have they even announced a spec for the product or a SDK ship date.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS