Shortcuts

AMD Demos Temash, Kabini, and Richland APUs at CES 2013, Partners with Asus, HP, and Vizio For Tablets, Ultrathins and All-in-Ones

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,178
Points 1,185,785
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:47 AM
It has been a rough few years for AMD. The company has found itself increasingly behind the eight ball and outmaneuvered, thanks to strong competition from Intel and less-than-stellar performance with recent releases of their A series integrated APUs. At a press event yesterday at CES 2013,  the Sunnyvale-based company focused on demonstrating new product wins and continued execution of its own APU roadmap. New devices shipping soon are courtesy of partnerships Asus, HP, and Vizio.

AMD and Vizio announced an expansive partnership, with multiple Vizio systems on display including a new AIO (all-in-one) and ultra-thin notebook design. AMD also showcased their Kabini APU performance against Intel's Core i3, with the former winning handily, as well as its current Brazos-based tablet winning out over Intel's Clover Trail Atom chip, and talked a bit about what we can expect from Richland. Richland is the follow-up to AMD's Trinity APU...

AMD Demos Temash, Kabini, and Richland APUs at CES 2013
Partners with Asus, HP, and Vizio For Tablets, Ultrathins and All-in-Ones

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:58 PM

Good news indeed from AMD, hopefully they can maintain their roadmap, and release products on time. Oh and hitting their performance marks would be nice too.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

AMD's APUs have have good price per performance from the start.

They're not high-end, but they work well.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,014
Points 9,480
sevags replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 1:05 AM

exactly, from a price-performance perspective their cpus perform well but their high end is about intel's midrange. They really need a boost and it needs to come from other sectors of computing because it's not coming from their desktop lineup.

btw that keyboard/dock/cover in the picture looks amazing!!!!!! MUCH nicer than the one for the Surface!!! More comfortable and natural because it's almost identical to a laptop!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Soooo, does that mean no CPU only Steamroller this year? Or no CPU only part at all for steamroller?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,590
Points 54,905
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 7:00 AM

I think this could mark a bit of a turn-around for AMD but you'll never see them trying to one-up Intel at the very top of their product stack again. It just doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint and the majority of the market doesn't sell a lot of PCs on these super high end SKUs.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

test

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
bagtakers replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:31 PM

this is cool :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 3:10 PM

While currently I only reason I would use an APU is for a HTPC I do like the fact AMD is starting to do a turnaround with these and better processors overall. Ive always been a fan of AMD even if I own Intel. The do have the best price/preformance ratio and its good they succeed.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS